[rec.music.makers] Acoustic Piano sounds from DW-8000

apolivka@x102a.harris-atd.com (polivka al 60047) (07/17/90)

A friend of mine has a Korg DW-8000 from which he would like to get
a good acoustic piano sound (better than what comes with the keyboard).

Does anyone out there in network land have a good acoustic piano patch
that they would be willing to share or could tell me where to find?

Al

Al Polivka                           arpa: apolivka@x102a.ess.harris.com
Mail Stop 102-4858                 usenet: uunet!x102a!apolivka
Harris Corporation                  phone: 407-729-2983
Government Aerospace Systems Div.    Bldg: 102 Room: 3433
P.O. Box 94000
Melbourne, FL 32902

msm26708@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Michael S MacKovitch) (07/17/90)

I've had my DW-8000 for about 4 years or so, and even though I thought
that the "acoustic piano" sound was a lot better than some machines, I still
feel that the true warmth of an acoustic piano can't be attained on the
DW-8000.

It makes a decent "digital" piano sound, but I've played around with it a bit
and I haven't come close to a real acoustic sound.  That's what samplers are
for.  If you want a good acoustic piano sound, buy a sampler....that's what
I did.

If you don't want to spend the money, I'd say that the acoustic piano sound
that comes with the DW-8000 (sound #21 in one of the sets that comes with it)
is about the best you can do.  But, that's just my opinion, anyone else have
an opinion on this matter?

-mike

Mike Mackovitch                      University of Illinois @ Urbana/Champaign
Engineering Computer Science Co-op                   msm26708@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu
"I don't worry 'bout a thing, 'cause I know nothing's gonna be all right."
                                                        -Mose Allison

shin@rainbow.uchicago.edu (Shin Kurokawa) (07/17/90)

In article <1990Jul16.202632.27831@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> msm26708@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Michael S MacKovitch) writes:
>It makes a decent "digital" piano sound, but I've played around with it a bit
>and I haven't come close to a real acoustic sound.  That's what samplers are
>for.  If you want a good acoustic piano sound, buy a sampler....that's what
>I did.

IMHO, if you want a good acoustic piano sound, use the real piano. I don't
mean that you should go out and get your own Bosendorfer or a Steinway though,
of course. ;) Even the Kurtzweil or the Synclavier versions of the acoustic
piano sound peculiar to me, though if they are jammed along with tons of other
things going on in the background (like put a couple of tracks of OB8 soft
'strings', a bunch of twinkling DX sequences on top, a real guitar, real
drums, Emu+Moog bass etc.), I say they don't sound too bad. ;) There's nothing
like the real grand piano fed through two-stage DD and EQ with a touch of
the Aphex Aural Exciter. ;)

>Mike Mackovitch                      University of Illinois @ Urbana/Champaign
>Engineering Computer Science Co-op                   msm26708@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu
>"I don't worry 'bout a thing, 'cause I know nothing's gonna be all right."
>                                                        -Mose Allison

/ \\\\\ S h i n  K u r o k a w a    shin@rainbow.uchicago.edu  [128.135.4.33]
 ^ //// Research Institutes,Univ.of Chicago  {mimsy,ncar,rutgers}!oddjob!shin
 @ \@   5640 S.Ellis Ave., Chicago, IL 60637 USA - Fax:(312)7025863
   v )                                             Eat more rice!!

--

msm26708@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Michael S MacKovitch) (07/17/90)

>IMHO, if you want a good acoustic piano sound, use the real thing.  I don't

I think this goes without saying.

-mike

Mike Mackovitch                      University of Illinois @ Urbana/Champaign
Engineering Computer Science Co-op                   msm26708@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu
"I don't worry 'bout a thing, 'cause I know nothing's gonna be all right."
                                                        -Mose Allison

sjs@netcom.UUCP (Stephen Schow) (07/18/90)

 I agree, the DW-8000 will not compare to either a sampler or a real Grand Piano

If you need complete MIDI control, as I do, and you also need an affordable,
MIDIable acoustic piano sound, then I would highly recommend the Roland MKS-20
or P-330.  They both have the same sounds, one is newer and smaller.  I picked
up a used MKS-20 for 500 bucks.  The sounds are not as sparkly realistic as
many sampled pianos are, but it allows much much more dynamic playing than
any sampled piano I've ever played.  I like to layer it with electric piano
rhodes sounds to get a killer David Foster Sound, but even as a stand alone
acoustic sound module, it is the best MIDIable solution in my opinion.  The
main reason is the dynamic control.