[rec.music.makers] Sync'ing a Sequencer to a Tape Recorder

apolivka@x102a.harris-atd.com (polivka al 60047) (07/20/90)

I would like to hear from anyone who has synchronized their sequencer
with a tape recorder i.e. by recording a sync signal on one of the
recorder tracks and (analog) music on the other channel(s).  This
allows playback of the sequenced music directly out of the
synthesizers in synchronization with the recorded part(s).

In particular I'd like to know:
 1. did you have any problems (e.g. crosstalk of the sync signal into
    another channel, loss of sync, etc.)?
 2. what type of recorder did you use?
 3. what type of sync signal did you use?
 4. did you have any noise reduction (Dolby, dbx) enabled on the sync
    channel of the tape recorder?

The reason I am asking is that I am considering getting one of the
small multitrack cassette recorders and would like to use one of its
channels to record a sync signal from my sequencer (which
unfortunately does not have SMPTE but does have some other non-chasing
sync capabilities).

I tried using it with my VHS Hi-Fi VCR last night and found that some
of the sync signal (recorded on the right channel) crosstalked into
the other (left) channel of my recorder.

As mentioned above, I am thinking about getting a 4-track cassette,
but would hate to find similar problems with it.

I would appreciate feedback from anyone having experience with this.

Thanks,
Al

Al Polivka                           arpa: apolivka@x102a.ess.harris.com
Mail Stop 102-4858                 usenet: uunet!x102a!apolivka
Harris Corporation                  phone: 407-729-2983
Government Aerospace Systems Div.    Bldg: 102 Room: 3433
P.O. Box 94000
Melbourne, FL 32902

scott@bbxsda.UUCP (Scott Amspoker) (07/21/90)

In article <APOLIVKA.90Jul20121742@x102a.harris-atd.com> apolivka@x102a.harris-atd.com (polivka al 60047) writes:
>[syncing a sequencer to tape]
>In particular I'd like to know:
> 1. did you have any problems (e.g. crosstalk of the sync signal into
>    another channel, loss of sync, etc.)?

No problems with crosstalk.  The sync can become unstable if used
with noise reduction (it's hit and miss).  After the various projects
I've done using sync sucessfully, I just expect to work.

> 2. what type of recorder did you use?

Tascam 244 (4-track) and Tascam 688 (8-track).

> 3. what type of sync signal did you use?

SMPTE

> 4. did you have any noise reduction (Dolby, dbx) enabled on the sync
>    channel of the tape recorder?

You can do sync with noise reduction but I wouldn't bank a major
recording project on it.  If you plan on syncing I strongly
recommend you get a deck with defeatable noise reduction on one
track.

>I tried using it with my VHS Hi-Fi VCR last night and found that some
>of the sync signal (recorded on the right channel) crosstalked into
>the other (left) channel of my recorder.

I have found that the crosstalk on regular stereo decks is much
higher than on multi-track recorders.  The type of application
used with regular stereo decks does not suffer from a little
crosstalk.  On the other hand, multi-track decks are designed for
applications where program material on one track must be isolated
from an adjacent track.  Tascam is very good about this and I
suspect you'll find this to be true for many other brands as well.

--
Scott Amspoker
Basis International, Albuquerque, NM

eatond@mail.enet.dec.com (My name is...) (07/21/90)

	I am in a similar position as you, making preparations to buy a tape
deck (4 tracks) and have narrowed it down to either of the two Yamaha 4-tracks
- the MT3X ($679 at Sam Ash) or the MT100 mk II ($379 at Sam Ash).  I also plan
on syncing my MC500 to it.

	Let me fill you in on some of the conclusions I've come up with...

	1)  Regarding FSK sync...  It would appear that some sequencers send a
	strong enough signal to stripe a sync track and later read it even with
	dbx on that track.  My MC500 is one that fits in this category.  I did
	an experiment with my home stereo deck using external dbx (a dbx 122
	unit) and it responded exactly the same with dbx either on or off.

		Note:  I did have a problem at the tail end of the piece where
		the sequencer would hang up until the trailer signal stopped.
		It did this with dbx both on and off on seven out of eight
		trys.  If it persists, I'll simply add a few extra measures
		(empty ones) at the tail of the sequence on the MC500.

	For what its worth, dolby NR (either B or C) seems to cause no problems
	with FSK at all (Fostex makes this claim on their dolby C decks).  Dbx,
	as stated above, *can* be a problem, but also can be no trouble.  As
	an interesting aside, Tascam's Porta 05 entry level 4-track (usually
	sold for around $400), claims to accept sync signals on track 4, but
	has no dbx defeat option for that track.  It *does*, however, offer a
	bandpass filter on a special sync output jack.  The more expensive
	decks have a switch to defeat NR on the 4th track.

	2)  Feature for feature, quality vs. quality, the Yamaha decks seem to
	win out over the competition for decks of equal price.  I have never
	personally done side-by-side listening tests, so all this is from
	people I have heard tapes os and from their comments.

	What I would like to add to this discussion is to ask people who may
have actually done side by side comparisons and see what their conclusions were
on the Yamaha decks.

	Also, it is my hunch that the actual recording mechanisms and
electronics for both the MT100 II and the MT3X are the same and that the
differences between them are in other areas (extra channels on the internal
mixer, auto-punch, and dbx defeat on track 4).  Does anyone have any
information on this?

	Dan Eaton

*   Opinions Expressed are not necessarily those of my employer                *

alves@alcor.usc.edu (William Alves) (07/21/90)

In article <APOLIVKA.90Jul20121742@x102a.harris-atd.com> apolivka@x102a.harris-atd.com (polivka al 60047) writes:
>I would like to hear from anyone who has synchronized their sequencer
>with a tape recorder i.e. by recording a sync signal on one of the
>recorder tracks and (analog) music on the other channel(s).  This
>allows playback of the sequenced music directly out of the
>synthesizers in synchronization with the recorded part(s).
>
>In particular I'd like to know:
> 1. did you have any problems (e.g. crosstalk of the sync signal into
>    another channel, loss of sync, etc.)?

First of all, there are several types of sync: you're probably talking about
FSK (Frequency Shift Keying), but there's also SMPTE, which is much more
powerful, but I haven't had as much experience with it. In addition I've
done some stuff with Synclavier's godawful 50 Hz sync tone. I've had some
problems with FSK, but not too often. The most common problem has been
tempo drifting because of tape playback or other problems. Crosstalk is
potentially a problem, but normally I record the tone at -15 to -20 VU
and then crank up the playback level. You should also record it on an out-
side track.

> 2. what type of recorder did you use?

I've mainly used 1-inch or 2-inch tape. I used 1/4 inch one time, and cross-
talk was more of a problem. I've never used it on 4-track cassette, but I'd
be pretty wary of that problem if I were you.

> 4. did you have any noise reduction (Dolby, dbx) enabled on the sync
>    channel of the tape recorder?

Never! I believe that the Tascam Portastudio, for example, lets you defeat
dbx on channel 4 just for this purpose.

Hope this helps.

Bill

jboggs@inco.UUCP (John Boggs) (07/25/90)

In article <APOLIVKA.90Jul20121742@x102a.harris-atd.com> apolivka@x102a.harris-atd.com (polivka al 60047) writes:
>I would like to hear from anyone who has synchronized their sequencer
>with a tape recorder i.e. by recording a sync signal on one of the
>recorder tracks and (analog) music on the other channel(s).  This
>allows playback of the sequenced music directly out of the
>synthesizers in synchronization with the recorded part(s).
>
>In particular I'd like to know:
> 1. did you have any problems (e.g. crosstalk of the sync signal into
>    another channel, loss of sync, etc.)?

In order to avoid crosstalk of the sync signal to the audio tracks you need
to experiment with the signal level of the sync signal.  I have had problems
occasionally with crosstalk back the other way (audio interfering with sync)
but only if I record a drum track with cymbals on the adjacent track.  Here,
again, you need to experiment with recording levels 'till you find a combina-
tion that's right for you.  Keep notes as you experiment so you can re-create
later.

> 2. what type of recorder did you use?

I have used both reel-to-reel (TEAC A2340-SX) and four-track cassette (TASCAM
Porta-05) decks.  The narrower the tape used (or the higher the number of
recording tracks squeezed in), the greater the odds that you'll have sync
interference problems.

> 3. what type of sync signal did you use?

My sequencer/interface combination only accepts Frequency Shift Keying (FSK)
sync.

> 4. did you have any noise reduction (Dolby, dbx) enabled on the sync
>    channel of the tape recorder?

The TASCAM Port-Studio series of decks includes a special sync output
which bypasses the EQ par of the deck.  This allows the signal to go out
unprocessed when all the other tracks are being EQed.  I don't EQ the sync
signal when I'm striping the tape.

>The reason I am asking is that I am considering getting one of the
>small multitrack cassette recorders and would like to use one of its
>channels to record a sync signal from my sequencer (which
>unfortunately does not have SMPTE but does have some other non-chasing
>sync capabilities).

Should work okay once you determine the appropriate recording levels.

>I tried using it with my VHS Hi-Fi VCR last night and found that some
>of the sync signal (recorded on the right channel) crosstalked into
>the other (left) channel of my recorder.

Try the recording level trick if you can to see if you can get rid of the
crosstalk.

>As mentioned above, I am thinking about getting a 4-track cassette,
>but would hate to find similar problems with it.
>
>I would appreciate feedback from anyone having experience with this.
>
>Thanks,
>Al

Good Luck!  Hope this helps.
--
John Boggs

McDonnell Douglas Electronic Systems Company
McLean, Virginia, USA