[rec.music.makers] Looking for bells

stuart@amc-gw.amc.com (Stuart Poulin) (10/25/90)

To the tune of "Silent Night":
ding     ding ding   dong
ding     ding    dong
( I've already heard this on Store muzac )

I'd love to have this playing on real bells but an having trouble
locating any.  What I have in mind is a Christmas project of a micro
controller activating solenoid strikers to play songs.  I know how to
do all the electronics and software but cannot seem to locate some
bells.

Anyone know where I can get some bells?

They are going to go on a garland. So -- They have to look good.  I'm
looking for the fluted type, not the half round type that you might get
out of an old phone or the bar type from a Glockenspiel(sp?).  I'm a
purist so the bells actually have to play. I don't want to have the
bells for show and have hidden bars or speakers actually playing.  They
don't have to be concert quality but they do have to play in tune.  A
chromatic set would be nice but I bet most of the Christmas standards
would play on 1.5 to 2 octave diatonic scale, although - the more bells
the merrier.

Any Ideas?
Thanks

Stuart Poulin                             DNS: stuart@amc.com
Applications Engineer/System Administrator
Applied Microsystems Corporation         UUCP: amc-gw!stuart
Redmond, Washington  98073               Dial: (206) 882-2000

cah@pdx.csd.mot.com (Chris Huey) (10/27/90)

In article <3735@amc-gw.amc.com>, stuart@amc-gw.amc.com (Stuart Poulin) writes:
[Silent Night deleted]

> I'd love to have this playing on real bells but an having trouble
> locating any.  What I have in mind is a Christmas project of a micro
> controller activating solenoid strikers to play songs.  I know how to
> do all the electronics and software but cannot seem to locate some
> bells.
>
> Anyone know where I can get some bells?
>
> They are going to go on a garland. So -- They have to look good.  I'm
> looking for the fluted type, not the half round type that you might get
> out of an old phone or the bar type from a Glockenspiel(sp?).  I'm a
> purist so the bells actually have to play.

I just recently moved to Oregon from Colorado so I'm not sure if they
have what you're looking for here on the West Coast or not, but...

Last year at Xmas time, I was wandering thru the malls and heard small
bells playing a variety of Xmas songs (Silent Night included).  The store
where these bells were coming from was a Christmas Specialty store.  They
sold these bells (complete with garland) for around $100.00.  It played
around 30-40 songs (as I recall) and was wonderful to listen to (at least
for a while).   You should be able to find them around the time they start
pushing all the Xmas stuff (around August, I believe)

ps:  Mom loved 'em as her Xmas present!

--
Chris Huey                             Motorola Inc., Computer Systems Division
chuey@pdx.csd.mot.com                   . . . tektronix!reed!cvedc!mcspdx!chuey