[rec.music.makers] White Noise???????

travis@bsu-cs.bsu.edu (Travis Michael Banks) (12/17/90)

Can someone please tell me what WHITE NOISE is?
I've seen it referred to on several occasions and have no idea what it is???

Please Email me and let me know
thanks
-Travis
--
email: travis@bsu-cs.bsu.edu
Disclaimer: The opinions expressed above do not represent the opinions

seaotter@athena.mit.edu (12/17/90)

travis@bsu-cs.bsu.edu (Travis Michael Banks) writes:

>Can someone please tell me what WHITE NOISE is?
>I've seen it referred to on several occasions and have no idea what it is???

A song by Jay Ferguson from some years ago ... ;-)

Ciao,
 Mike
--

| Mike Zraly                     | You should never wear your best trousers |
| (mzraly@ldbvax.dnet.lotus.com) | when you go out to fight for freedom and |

mpmst1@unix.cis.pitt.edu (metlay) (12/17/90)

In article <12263@bsu-cs.bsu.edu> travis@bsu-cs.bsu.edu (Travis Michael Banks) writes:

>Can someone please tell me what WHITE NOISE is?
>I've seen it referred to on several occasions and have no idea what it is???

White noise is a kind of audio signal where each frequency is represented
with an equal amount of power.... it's "white" in the same way that light
from the Sun, containing all frequencies of the EM spectrum, is perceived
as white by our eyes. (I know sunlight isn't an equal-power source. shut up)

Alternatives are types of noise where power output is weighted with respect
to frequency: the best known example in our field, used for testing rooms
for mic placement as well as on the better analog synths, is pink noise,
which follows a frequency dependence considered more interesting to the
human ear. Its dependence is a very simple math formula involving one over
the frequency, but I don't dare try to quote it from memory or the zillions
of net.nit.pickers out there will leap on me like hyenas. Other types of
noise include blue, red, and green (blue noise is weighted toward the high
end, red toward the low, and green noise is that far-off sound of lawn
mowers that wakes you up when you're trying to take an afternoon nap in
the summertime).

Hope that helps. Someone else can show off their library by quoting you the
math; on a practical level, what matters is that white noise is what you
normally get on a synth that provides noise at all-- which is a pity, as
pink noise is much more interesting to the ear. *sigh*

Have a good holiday season, everyone.

--
metlay			             | "There's more to life than marriage,
             metlay@vms.cis.pitt.edu |  synths, and Traveller...but so what?"

mgresham@artsnet.UUCP (Mark Gresham) (12/18/90)

In article <12263@bsu-cs.bsu.edu> travis@bsu-cs.bsu.edu (Travis Michael Banks) writes:

>Can someone please tell me what WHITE NOISE is?

Mid-western avant-garde music.  :-)

Cheers,

--Mark

Mark Gresham  ARTSNET  Norcross, GA, USA
E-mail:       ...gatech!artsnet!mgresham
or:          artsnet!mgresham@gatech.edu

alex@bilver.uucp (Alex Matulich) (12/18/90)

In article <71303@unix.cis.pitt.edu> mpmst1@unix.cis.pitt.edu (metlay) writes:
>In article <12263@bsu-cs.bsu.edu> travis@bsu-cs.bsu.edu (Travis Michael Banks) writes:
>>
>>Can someone please tell me what WHITE NOISE is?
>>I've seen it referred to on several occasions and have no idea what it is???
>
>White noise is a kind of audio signal where each frequency is represented
>with an equal amount of power.... it's "white" in the same way that light
>[...]
>Alternatives are types of noise where power output is weighted with respect
>to frequency: the best known example in our field, used for testing rooms
>for mic placement as well as on the better analog synths, is pink noise,
>which follows a frequency dependence considered more interesting to the
>human ear. Its dependence is a very simple math formula involving one over
>the frequency, but I don't dare try to quote it from memory or the zillions

Actually, the simplest definition of pink noise is a signal composed of
all frequencies, weighted in such a way that there is equal energy
in every octave, rather than equal energy at every frequency in the
case of white noise.

Pink noise is generally used for testing audio equipment because it
won't blow your tweeters at high volume levels like white noise can.
For example, say you have two speakers, one designed to respond between
500-1000 Hz, and another designed to respond between 10,000-20,000 Hz.
Each speaker has a response range of one octave.  But look how many
more "Hertzes" there are in the higher octave!  Sending white noise
to the higher-range speaker will result in 20 times more power being
sent to it than the lower-range speaker!  Using pink noise would cause
equal power to be transmitted by each speaker in this example.

--
 _ |__  Alex Matulich   (alex@bilver.UUCP)
 /(+__>  Unicorn Research Corp, 4621 N Landmark Dr, Orlando, FL 32817

jmuller@Stardent.COM (Jim Muller) (12/19/90)

In <12263@bsu-cs.bsu.edu> travis@bsu-cs.bsu.edu
  (Travis Michael Banks) writes:

>Can someone please tell me what WHITE NOISE is?

I see that metlay wrote a description that also mentioned pink noise.  His
explanation is okay but contains a few "imprecisions", well, okay, technical
inaccuracies.  I like the green noise description though... :-)  (Neither
white nor pink noise definitions have anything to do with the human ear.)

White noise is noise, actually *any* time signal, in which the power per
frequency is constant.  In continuous space (i.e. calculus), this means
dP/dF = k.  In discrete space, such as time measurements of voltage (you
can use either amplitude, e.g. voltage, or power), analyzed via FFT, this
means a constant power (or constant amplitude) for all frequencies, given
a fixed delta-F.

More properly, we should speak of the expected value, with a given
distribution of sampling variation, since we usually mean random,
aperiodic, non-deteministic noise.  At any given time, the amplitude
has only one value, of course.  A "spectrum", be it discrete FFT or
continuous via analytical Fourier Transform, is a time-integral, and
thus assumes a time-window over which that "spectrum" applies.  We
rarely have a complete time history over which to calculate a spectrum,
and in music, we never do.  However, we can calculate a spectrum over a
time interval, then do it again and again, forming a time-dependent
spectrum.  This is valid provided there is enough time in the interval
to cover the frequencies desired, and that there be enough overlap
(in time) of successive calculations, typically a factor of 2.  With
less overlap, there is a possibility of aliasing of the high frequencies
to appear to have pulsating amplitudes.  This is generally not an issue
with musical applications, and probably is rarely considered.  The net
result is that we generally speak of the power per frequency being
constant, but in reality we mean:

If we measure it over a number of time intervals, and if the noise is
more or less "constant", we will see variation with time but the mean
value will be constant over time and over frequency.  The constant-over-
time part is assumed anyway, with "mean value" being explicit when we say
"is constant".  What makes it "white" is the constant-over-frequency part.
So it is a simplification, but a reasonable one, to say dP/dF = k.

So what then is "pink" noise?  How does it differ from white and what
is it used for?  Pink noise is a similer aperiodic noise, but with the
frequency distribution different.  It has a decrease in power of 3dB
per octave; more precisely, the power at 2f is 1/2 of that at f.
Why use such a power distribution?  In musical applications, we are
usually concerned with octaves, i.e. frequency bands which get wider
as you go up.  We speak of 30-60Hz, 60-125Hz, 125-250Hz, 250-500Hz, etc.
If we used equal-width frequency intervals like those produced by an
FFT, or as appropriate for white noise, we would need twice as many
intervals for 60-125Hz as for 30-60Hz, and twice as many again for
125-250Hz, etc.  To avoid this overload, we use a logarithmic frequency
scale.  But if you analyze and display the time-dependent spectrum of white
noise on a scale in which the frequency intervals get wider with increasing
frequency, the apparant power in each band will go up by a factor of two
for each band.  What is "flat" on a linear frequency scale is ramped up
with frequency on this logarithmic scale.  So we just start with a noise
that has a power reduction of a factor of two for every increase of that
much in frequency, i.e. P = k/f.  This way, it looks "flat" when analyzed
and displayed on a typical music-oriented octave-based frequency scale.
It has nothing to do with the human ear.  It is simple math...

Just what you didn't really wnat to know...
--
 - Jim Muller

e85rw@efd.lth.se (Ricard Wolf) (12/20/90)

In article <71303@unix.cis.pitt.edu> mpmst1@unix.cis.pitt.edu (metlay) writes:
>In article <12263@bsu-cs.bsu.edu> travis@bsu-cs.bsu.edu (Travis Michael Banks) writes:
[ .. nice description of various noise forms .. ]
>Hope that helps. Someone else can show off their library by quoting you the
>math; on a practical level, what matters is that white noise is what you
>normally get on a synth that provides noise at all-- which is a pity, as
>pink noise is much more interesting to the ear. *sigh*

It may be more interesting to the ear, but not to the synthesiser player! :-)
Seriously though, most analog synthesisers only have lowpass filters, so
the only thing you can do with the noise is filter away the high end, and when
it comes to pink noise, there isn't a lot of high end around to start with.
I actually remember using an old PAiA Gnome for a noise source at one point,
since I could set it's (rather mediocre) bandpass filter to give a sharp,
cutting noise soumd, which could then be processed by my main synthesiser.
(Yeah, we know, Metlay, that some people have Xpanders with multiple
multimode filters etc, but some of us have to do with a simple
Moog 24dB lowpass... :-).
--
Ricard Wolf

+--------------------------+-------------------------------------+
| Ricard Wolf              | Lund Institute of Technology        |
| email: e85rw@efd.lth.se  | If you can't buy 'em - build 'em !! |
+--------------------------+-------------------------------------+

davet@cbnewsj.att.com (Dave Tutelman) (12/22/90)

In article <1990Dec17.224535.23225@bilver.uucp>, alex@bilver.uucp (Alex Matulich) writes:

> Actually, the simplest definition of pink noise is a signal composed of
> all frequencies, weighted in such a way that there is equal energy
> in every octave, rather than equal energy at every frequency in the
> case of white noise.
>
> Pink noise is generally used for testing audio equipment because it
> won't blow your tweeters at high volume levels like white noise can.

Alex,
Good definition, good example.

Another use I've seen for pink noise in audio systems is in the use
of an equalizer to correct for room acoustics.  Equalizers and
audio spectrum analyzers tend to have their sliders (or display bars)
arranged by octaves (or n-per-octave) rather than absolute frequency,
so pink noise is better matched than white.  In fact, what you want is
to adjust the equalizer so that the spectrum analyzer has all bars the
same height.  This indicates equal power in each fraction-of-an-octave,
which is the same as the pink noise in.

If you used white noise for this exercise, you'd have to match to an
exponential response on the spectrum analyzer, much harder than a
simple "all bars the same height."  You'd also need a spectrum analyzer
capable of accurately measuring and displaying very different powers
simultaneously in different bands.

Dave
|    Dave Tutelman						|
|    Physical - AT&T Bell Labs  -  Lincroft, NJ			|
|    Logical -  ...att!pegasus!dmt == dmt@pegasus.att.com	|
|    Audible -  (201) 576 2194					|