[rec.music.synth] UPDATE: MAC SE Mouse Double-Clicking problem

jlc@atux01.UUCP (04/10/87)

I called Apple Customer Relations yesterday, after work, and told them about
this double clicking problem.  The young lady whom I spoke with relayed the
question to someone else.  I was told that the problem may lie in the fact that
the SE has a different mouse click timing protocol (or something) that may be
incompatible with Sir Tech's "Wizardry," and Mark of the Unicorn's "Composer,"
software since these were written for the earlier Mac Plus and 512K.

I have since left a message about the problem with Sir Tech, and spoken with
one of the developers at MOTU.  Sir Tech said they'd pass along the info to
their programmer, and MOTU said that they've run into the same problem (now
that they have an SE to test on).  MOTU will have a fix for this probably two
releases from now.

If Apple's assesment of this problem is correct, then it would behoove all
of us new SE owners to watch out for such problems, and notify the software
manufacturers directly, as soon as we find bugs.  This will benefit us, the
users, with possibly swifter (cleaner?) upgrades.  Apple and the software
makers also will benefit by getting closer to their patrons and building up a
better rapport all around.

I'll be sure to let you all know of any further developments, and would
still appreciate any other insights you may wish to offer on this mouse
issue.

						Jim Collymore

jad@beta.UUCP (04/10/87)

I'm not certain whether you've overlooked the obvious, but does the
control panel setting for double click make any difference?  Offhand,
I'm not holding out much hope that it will, but you never know...

Another problem: Does anyone have a version of ModulaII working on the
Mac+ (or SE)?  I'd appreciate any help I can get.

Zoz
jad@LANL.GOV (arpa) or (cmcl2 or ihnp4)|lanl|jad

drc@dbase.UUCP (04/14/87)

In article <3801@beta.UUCP>, jad@beta.UUCP (John De Vries) writes:
> Another problem: Does anyone have a version of ModulaII working on the
> Mac+ (or SE)?  I'd appreciate any help I can get.

Well, I have five of them, as follows:
  MacModula-2 (version 4.5) from Modula Corp. - 5 pass interpreted
  MacLogimo - ETHZ version with Mac interfaces added (this is on Compu$erve)
  TDI Modula-2 from TDI Software, Inc. - 5 pass native
  TML Modula-2 from TML Systems - MPW tool, Beta version (close to release)
  Semper Software's Modula-2 - MPW tool, Beta version (not as close as TML)

If you have MPW, I would strongly suggest getting TML when it comes out (May,
most likely); if not, TDI has an excellent standalone package (similar to their
Modula-2 systems for the Atari ST and Amiga).

Dennis Cohen
Ashton-Tate Glendale Development Center
Disclaimer:  #include "<disclaimer>"