[rec.music.synth] Does Radio Shack sell Midi cables?

duane@toto.UUCP (08/27/87)

In article <19197@cca.CCA.COM> m204help@cca.CCA.COM (Keith Hedger) writes:
>> - which means they don't fit (easily), into recessed MIDI DIN sockets such as
>> - those found on the OpCode Studio Plus interfaces. They ARE adequate for
>> - flush mounted connectors.
>>
>> Yes, the collars are short. I found, though, that by razoring off a little
>> plastic the connectors could be made to fit recessed sockets (my D50 has
>> 'em). The connector seems no worse for the surgery.
>> --
>> Pete Yadlowsky
>> Academic Computing Center, UVa
>> e-mail: pmy@virginia.EDU
>
>Even though you can make the plugs fit, and even though they appear to work,
>you SHOULD NOT use and rely on non midi specific cables with din plugs.
>I have read reports of many bizarre things happening which when finally
>resolved, ended up being non midi din cables that were being used.
>I read a letter for help in Electronic  Musician where a guy was actually
>getting a feedback loop through his midi cable, which turned out not to
>be a midi cable, but a radio shack cable with din plugs. There is apparantly
>some special shielding done in cables for them to conform to the midi spec.

Also, not all pins are connected on a MIDI cable.  I believe that according
to the MIDI spec, pins 1 and 5 are supposed to remain unconnected (Not sure
about those pin numbers though).  Anyway, it's worth knowing for Atari ST
MIDI users that Atari used these pins for some kind of MIDI thru signal.
Therefore, using non-MIDI DIN cables could prove especially frustrating for
them!  Using cables built to the MIDI standard will save a lot of headaches.

Finally, the last time I checked Radio Shack did not sell real MIDI cables.
Some of the sales people who are half-informed may tell you they do, and
try to pass of a regular generic DIN cable on you.  Don't say you weren't
warned...

--
************************ |UUCP: {hplabs, decwrl}!sun!{misun, toto}!duane
..but one of the choices | COM: duane%misun@sun.com