[rec.music.synth] Problem running SuperSpool and Professional Composer?

jlc@atux01.UUCP (J. Collymore) (09/11/87)

Recently, I purchased SuperMac Software's SuperSpool 3.4 for the Imagewriter.
I found out to my chagrin, however, that whenever I ran off scores or musical
parts on Mark of the Unicorn's "Professional Composer" (Prof. Comp.)
I would get this hideous gobbledygook instead of musical notation.
(This also happened with the 4.0 upgrade.)
I was then forced to turn off the spooler and THEN print out my music.
If any of you use your Macs for music processing, you know that printing out
even a one-page piece can lock up your Mac for ~5 minutes.  If you have more
than one page of music you can kiss your productivity good-bye!  You'll be
waiting a long time for that stuff to print before you can get back to your
other work on the computer.  It was to avoid this very situation that I bought
the print spooler in the first place!

Well, after several letters and phone calls to Unicorn, and SuperMac, the
problem was solved.

Answer:  The tech at Supermac told me that when SuperSpool runs it looks for the
necessary fonts in the SYSTEM file, NOT in the APPLICATION's file.  Since the
music fonts are only in Prof. Comp., SuperSpool doesn't know what to do, so it
tries to make-do with other fonts in the System file.  What you need to do to
correct this is to load the Prof. Comp. music fonts into your System.
They had me do this:

WARNING:  If you have ANY questions or concerns about performing this procedure,
          call the techs at SuperMac, (415) 964-9694, BEFORE you try this.

1)  Make sure your Prof. Comp. application is loaded onto the Mac.
    NOTE:  To be on the safe side, if you're using a floppy, lock it.

2)  Open up your Font/DA Mover and be sure you're set for "fonts."

3)  Hold down your command and option keys while you click on "Open" on the
    other side of the screen.

4)  Continue to hold the option and command keys down while you make your
    way to your Prof. Comp. application. (You may need to pull down the menu
    at the top of "Open" screen, (that's the little icon that says what folder
    you're currently in) to get to your Prof. Comp. application.)

5)  Once you see Prof. Comp. on the list, select it and open it.  You should
    see two music fonts there:  music 24 and music 48.

6)  Release the option and command keys.

7)  Click on music 24.
    NOTE:  The "Copy" button arrows should be pointing over to your System file
           where all your other standard alpha-numeric fonts are stored.

8)  Click on the "Copy" button.

9)  Once the copy/transfer is complete, repeat the process with the font
    music 48.

10)  Once this is complete you can quit the Font/DA Mover.

11)  Start SuperSpool running (if you haven't already).

12)  Try printing out one of your musical works.  Things should work fine.

I hope this helps some of you.

						Jim Collymore

Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac,rec.music.synth