[rec.music.synth] Sequencer Software for the Mac

lui@CS.UCLA.EDU (10/16/87)

I would like some suggestions about Sequencing software for the Mac. I've
heard of Opcode's Sequencer and Mark of the Unicorn's Performer, but
I don't know too much about them. The things I'm looking for are:

1. No copy protection (I have a hard disk and I don't want the hassle
of trying to install the program on my hard disk. Also, if I'm going to
pay >$200 for a sequencer, I better be able to back it up)

2. Patch through capability - anything that goes in the MIDI interface must
be echoed out. This is because I have a Oberheim XK keyboard controller
and I want to hear what I'm recording. Even if I had a keyboard w/ built-in
sounds, I would like to hear what I'm recording from the tone generator
I intend to play the sequence on.

3. Segment looping - I plan to buy another tone generator in the future
(Maybe a Roland MT-32) and I would like to repeat drum/bass sequences.

4. Decent editing capability - I hear Opcode's Sequencer's main problem
is lack of editing capabilities

5. Ability to control 32 MIDI channels from both the modem port and the
printer port - I have a Sonus MacFace MIDI interface (basically an
Opcode Studio Plus Two clone) and would like to utilize all 32 MIDI
channels.

Presently, I use Concertware+MIDI. CW is a decent playing program, but
its recording capabilities are limited.

	Stephen Lui
	UCLA Department of Computer Science and

	Hughes Aircraft Company
	2000 E. Imperial Hwy.
	El Segundo, CA

	(213) 305-2085

	ARPA:  lui@cs.ucla.edu
	UUCP:  ...!{cepu,ihnp4,trwspp,ucbvax}!ucla-cs!lui

mike@artsvax.UUCP (Michael Czeiszperger) (10/18/87)

In article <8675@shemp.UCLA.EDU> lui@CS.UCLA.EDU () writes:
>I would like some suggestions about Sequencing software for the Mac. I've
>heard of Opcode's Sequencer and Mark of the Unicorn's Performer, but
>I don't know too much about them. The things I'm looking for are:
>
>1. No copy protection (I have a hard disk and I don't want the hassle
>of trying to install the program on my hard disk. Also, if I'm going to
>pay >$200 for a sequencer, I better be able to back it up)

Good look finding a high quality sequencer without copy protection.
I know that the latest version of Performer, and the old version
of opcode that we have at the lab are both copy protected.  The latet
Performer is copy protected VERY well.  We've tried to back it up to
hard disk using Copy to Hard disk, but to no avail.  You see, we
can't leave our only key disk laying around the studio because
many people use the lab every day, and if something should happen to
that key disk, we'd be out of luck.  The students just have to use the
old version on the hard disk until something comes out which will
back up the new Performer. Even the new Master Tracks Pro from
Passport is copy protected.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
 Michael S. Czeiszperger      | Disclaimer: "Sorry, I'm all out of pith"
  Systems Programmer I	      | Smail: Room 406 Baker      (614)
   College of the Arts        |        1971 Neil Avenue      292-
     Computer Lab             |        Columbus, OH 43210     0895
The Ohio State University     | UUCP: {decvax,ucbvax}!cbosgd!osupyr!artsvax!mike
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Randomizer@cup.portal.com (10/19/87)

Stephen Lui writes:

>I would like some suggestions about Sequencing software for the Mac. I've
>heard of Opcode's Sequencer and Mark of the Unicorn's Performer, but
>I don't know too much about them. The things I'm looking for are:
>
>1. No copy protection (I have a hard disk and I don't want the hassle
>2. Patch through capability - anything that goes in the MIDI interface must
>3. Segment looping - I plan to buy another tone generator in the future
>4. Decent editing capability - I hear Opcode's Sequencer's main problem
>5. Ability to control 32 MIDI channels from both the modem port and the
>        Stephen Lui
>        UCLA Department of Computer Science and

Stephen,
    I use mac's almost every day -- I use Opcode & Performer.
    Deluxe music construction, Proff. composer etc....
    BUT the one I recommend is Master Tracks PRO for the MAC.
    Why: MT ( master tracks ) has some of the best editing facilities
    around -- it has visual editing similar to the Paint program
    put out by Southworth -- but uses a standard interface...
    It has segment looping etc.. and a very powerful ability:
    -- the capability to paint in MIDI information!!
    this allows you to 'paint' a pitch bend or crescendo or
    aftertouch swell etc.. very good.
    Now as for copy protection -- I don't know but suspect it is..
    I have rarely seen Music SW for the MAC that is not copy-protected.
    RE: 32 MIDI channels -- I don't think it has that capability --
    do other programs do that?
    I would assume that it would slow down the MAC considerably --
    remember only 16 channels are defined -- so I take it you
    mean that the mac would generate 2 sets of 16 midi channels.
    ----------------

     These are just my opinions;; check out Master Tracks PRO.

     Randomizer@cup.portal.com

P.S.

       ANYTHING IS BETTER THAN CONCERTWARE SOFTWARE   UCHHH!!!!

lazzaro@cit-vax.Caltech.Edu (John Lazzaro) (10/19/87)

In article <150@artsvax.UUCP> mike@artsvax.UUCP (Michael Czeiszperger) writes:

>Good look finding a high quality sequencer without copy protection.

   MIDIPaint, Southworth's latest product is not copy protected. It also includes
MIDI driver libraries for writing your own software. I haven't played with it,
but KEYBOARD gives it a reasonable recommendation for the non-naive user

--
John Lazzaro  lazzaro@cit-vax.caltech.edu {seismo,rutgers,ames}!cit-vax!lazzaro