[rec.music.synth] Mac SE and MIDI software?

mpc@cblpf.ATT.COM (Mike Core) (01/12/88)

I'm thinking of upgrading to a mac SE in the future (soon?) and was wondering
about the compatiblity of MIDI software between the PLUS and SE (Seeing
that MIDI is so time dependent). Would some MAC SE or MAC II MIDI software
users please respond if there is any?

						Thanks Alot
						Mike Core
						614-860-5138 Work
						cblpf!mpc

rlr@pyuxe.UUCP (Rich Rosen) (01/19/88)

In article <984@cblpf.ATT.COM> mpc@cblpf.ATT.COM (45264-Mike Core) writes:
>I'm thinking of upgrading to a mac SE in the future (soon?) and was wondering
>about the compatiblity of MIDI software between the PLUS and SE (Seeing
>that MIDI is so time dependent). Would some MAC SE or MAC II MIDI software
>users please respond if there is any?

From my experience, the only incompatibility problems for existing software
occurred when you tried to run "old" software on the Mac II.  Some programs
worked, some didn't, some sort of did.  Mac Plus --> Mac SE upgrades should
not cause problems.

As for the Mac II, I'm not sure about all sequencing programs, but when I tried
to run Master Tracks Pro on a friend's Mac II a few months ago, it blew up and
wouldn't run at all.  Recently, I got an update in the mail (Master Tracks Pro
Version 2.0) which claims to be Mac II compatible.  (Haven't had a chance to
test it yet. I'm not even sure if I can yet, since I don't know if existing
MIDI interfaces work for the Mac II.  I recall someone mentioning that some
journal or other had said that a MIDI interface for the Mac II would make an
appearance at MacWorld Expo.)  I would hope most companies would be providing
similar upgrades.
--
"You cannot go against nature, because when you do,
 Going against nature is part of nature, too."