[rec.music.synth] MIDI on AT&T PC 6300

rwn@ihlpa.ATT.COM (Bob Neumann) (02/04/88)

Hi everyone-

At the Bell Labs Indian Hill locations out here in Naperville, Ill.
there exists a "Student Challenge Program" where AT&T employees have the
opportunity to talk and demonstrate various applications of Bell Labs/AT&T
technologies to 7th and 8th grade and high school students.  The purpose
is to encourage the students to take more science, math, and computer
classes and perhaps pursue a career later on in one of these fields.

We are working on a new application of this program that hopefully
will be realised within the next few months.  The current working title
for this new series of talks/demonstrations is "Computers and Technology
in Music".  What is planned is a demonstration of MIDI, sequencing,
and any other possible musical application, especially those applications
that have roots in Bell Labs technologies, such as vocoders and
digital synthesis.

Our first problem is getting a working midi/sequencing system up and
running on an AT&T PC 6300, which is the system that the Student
Challenge Program has reserved for the demonstrations.
(I use an ATARI ST at home for sequencing, however, this
is an AT&T supported activity.....).

Are there any professional or semi-professional quality sequencing
programs that can be recommended that we can try on the 6300?
A public domain program that is free would be great, but if funds have to
be appropriated what software package is the easiest to use and reliable?
We would like to do multi-track sequencing, quantization, grouping
of sequences/sections into "songs", and playback over selected MIDI
channels, yet the operations of the sequencer should be easy for a
7th, 8th, or high school student to understand after a short
demonstration. (Students working hands-on with the system is a
possibility).  Prices???

We will also need a Midi interface for the 6300.  In, out, and through
should be all that we need for the moment.  Which interface is the most
cost effective, yet well built, since this syetm will be moved around a
lot for these demonstrations.  And, how much will it cost?

Is the Roland MPU-401 (sp??) still the best that everyone uses, or are
there other interfaces that we should consider?

I appreciate any help that I can get on this.

If anyone in the Indian Hill area is interested in helping out with this
program, or perhaps adopting it to their own department/project for
an Adopt-A-School/Affirmative Action type project, contact me.

I will keep everyone informed of our status as well.  Thanks again!!

				Bob Neumann
				H (312)839-5978
				W (312)979-6533

				IH 4J-409

jboggs@inco.UUCP (John Boggs) (02/06/88)

In article <7046@ihlpa.ATT.COM>, rwn@ihlpa.ATT.COM (Bob Neumann) writes:

> We are working on a new application of this program that hopefully
> will be realised within the next few months.  The current working title
> for this new series of talks/demonstrations is "Computers and Technology
> in Music".  What is planned is a demonstration of MIDI, sequencing,
> and any other possible musical application, especially those applications
> that have roots in Bell Labs technologies, such as vocoders and
> digital synthesis.
>
> Our first problem is getting a working midi/sequencing system up and
> running on an AT&T PC 6300, which is the system that the Student
> Challenge Program has reserved for the demonstrations.
>
> Are there any professional or semi-professional quality sequencing
> programs that can be recommended that we can try on the 6300?
> A public domain program that is free would be great, but if funds have to
> be appropriated what software package is the easiest to use and reliable?
> We would like to do multi-track sequencing, quantization, grouping
> of sequences/sections into "songs", and playback over selected MIDI
> channels, yet the operations of the sequencer should be easy for a
> 7th, 8th, or high school student to understand after a short
> demonstration. (Students working hands-on with the system is a
> possibility).  Prices???

I think most any IBM PC compatible software will run on the AT&T machine
but I don't have any personal experience with it.  I use Veyetra Technologies'
Sequencer Plus Mark III on my XT clone.  This system is expensive (about $400)
but they make a $99 version called Mark I.  It's a 16-track sequencer with all
the features and user friendliness you could want. There are lots of other
systems available.  You might want to pick up a copy of Keyboard Magazine,
Music Technology Magazine, or Electronic Musician Magazine to look at ads.

> We will also need a Midi interface for the 6300.  In, out, and through
> should be all that we need for the moment.  Which interface is the most
> cost effective, yet well built, since this syetm will be moved around a
> lot for these demonstrations.  And, how much will it cost?
>
> Is the Roland MPU-401 (sp??) still the best that everyone uses, or are
> there other interfaces that we should consider?

I personnally use the MPU-401 because it has a tape sync interface and other
features which I find very useful.  It is expensive, though.  Voyetra also
markets an interface board called the OP-4001.  This is supposed to be fully
compatible with the MPU-401 but resides completely on a board inside the PC.
The MPU uses an interface card in the motherboard cabled to a separate box,
making it more cumbersome to move about and set up.  The OP-4001 is also less
expensive but I don't have the exact cost.

> I appreciate any help that I can get on this.

Hope this helps.  Sounds like a fun project.

--
John Boggs

McDonnell Douglas - Inco, Inc.
McLean, Virginia, USA

mcripps@mtuxo.UUCP (XMP12-M.CRIPPS) (02/06/88)

The Voyetra OP-4001 runs on the 6300, is MPU-401 compatible, and is
significantly cheaper.  I believe that they also have a OP-4000 which
doesn't have FSK sync, and is probably cheaper still.

Rumor has it that Roland is coming out with an
MPU-401 compatible for $85 or so, and it all sits on one plug in card
(none of this separate interface card/MIDI interface garbage).

Finally, I've seen ads in Keyboard magazine for a 64-track sequencer
*AND* interface card for $99.  I don't know what it does, but the price is
right.  I can't remember the name of the manufacturer, but I think it was
either MIDImusic or MIDIsoft or something like that.

As far as sequencing software goes, the 6300 is fairly compatible, so I
doubt you will have problems with most software.

If anyone finds out anything concrete about these interfaces, let me know!
I'm still in the market for one too.

-Mike Cripps
mtuxo!mcripps or attmail!mcripps
(I gotta get a signature file!)