[rec.music.synth] Help - Hooking IBM PC/XT to MIDI Synth

g-verbru@gumby.cs.wisc.edu (Rob Verbrugghe) (02/19/88)

This has probably already been hashed out here, but I wanted to ask...

  I have a friend who has an IBM PC/XT and a synthesizer and she wants the
two to talk to one another.  Basically she wants to play on the synth and
have sheet music 'Magically' appear on the PC which she can then save,
print, edit, play back, delete, or whatever is her heart's desire.

  Obviously, we are going to need some sort of card with a MIDI interface
on it and a software package to do the 'Magic'.

  What we don't want is a Patch Librarian or a Big Sequencer, but it's OK
if it does that too.  It must output sheet music, not some sort of event table.

  Can anyone suggest any hardware/software packages that will do what we want?
How about something that comes close?  How close?  Which are best?  Company
names and addresses would be appreciated.

  Please mail your thoughts/opinions to me and I'll post to the net.

     Thanks,

   Rob Verbrugghe

   g-verbru@gumby.cs.wisc.edu       Disclaimer:  No one listens to me anyway.
   g-verbru@uwvax.uucp

tracer@stb.UUCP (Jeff Boeing) (02/24/88)

   The only "music processor" I know of for the IBM that converts between
MIDI files and traditional music notation is called Personal Composer, by Jim
Miller.  It costs a little over $400.
   I use Personal Composer as a score editor, and it doesn't seem worth a
fourth of what I paid for it.  Jim Miller has been threatening to come out with
Dversion 2.00 of Personal Composer for several months now, but I don't think
we're in any immediate danger.
--
Jeff Boeing (which is not my real name)   |   ...!uunet!stb.uucp!tracer
------------------------------------------|----------------------------

csz@well.UUCP (Carter Scholz) (02/26/88)

In article <10083@stb.UUCP> tracer@stb.UUCP (Jeff Boeing) writes:

>   I use Personal Composer as a score editor, and it doesn't seem worth a
>fourth of what I paid for it.  Jim Miller has been threatening to come out with
>Dversion 2.00 of Personal Composer for several months now, but I don't think
>we're in any immediate danger.

Personal Composer version 2.0 is shipping.  The list price is $495.
Upgrades are free to registered users.  Contact Jim Miller, Box 648,
Honaunau, HI 96726, (808) 328-9518.  The program has its limits, but
it's still the only one that does what it does on the IBM, which
is to translate MIDI input to standard music notation.

hevj@mcnc.org (Hank E. Vail Jr.) (03/03/88)

In article <5307@well.UUCP>, csz@well.UUCP (Carter Scholz) writes:

> Personal Composer version 2.0 is shipping.  The list price is $495.
> Upgrades are free to registered users.  Contact Jim Miller, Box 648,
> Honaunau, HI 96726, (808) 328-9518.  The program has its limits, but
> it's still the only one that does what it does on the IBM, which
> is to translate MIDI input to standard music notation.

Has anyone received their upgraded versions of Personal Composer?
I received my upgrade notice card from Jim Miller just after
Christmas and sent my disks out the next day.  I haven't heard a
peep since then.  Anybody know what the deal is?  The card said
that the new disk duplications were completed Dec. 22 and shipments
had begun.  It's been THREE months. Any word, anyone?

--Hank

CRAIG_F_OCHIKUBO@cup.portal.com (03/04/88)

still have not recieved mine either!

craig ochikub