[rec.music.synth] Printer for ATARI ST/ E-Z score plus

rwn@ihlpa.ATT.COM (Bob Neumann) (04/26/88)

I am planning on purchasing Hybrid Arts E-Z Score plus within
the next couple of months.  E-Z Score plus is a program that
runs on an ATARI ST that converts midi sequencer files to
music notation suitable for printing.

Since purchasing my ATARI 1040 ST last summer, I've delayed getting
a printer.  Any suggestions for a printer that compliments that music
notation capabilities of E-Z score plus? I'll probably use it for
the usual stuff like letters, band songlists, etc. so letter-quality
is important too.

Any experienced users of E-Z score plus?  What printer do you use?
Any suggestions for discount mail order sources for the printers?
I don't want to spend more than $200.00 so I guess I'm out of the league
for laser printers.

				Thanks for the help.

				Bob Neumann

jac423@leah.Albany.Edu (Julius A Cisek) (04/26/88)

Definately get an Epson. Epson printers are the most supported printers
in the world (they also happen to be relatively cheap and have excellent
quality).

By the way, congrats on the purchase of the ST! I've had a 520ST for two
years and I'm very happy with it!

|\  |\        |\  |\         .--------------------.   J.A.Cisek

manis@faculty.cs.ubc.ca (Vince Manis) (04/27/88)

In article <712@leah.Albany.Edu> jac423@leah.Albany.Edu (Julius A Cisek)
writes:

>Definately get an Epson. Epson printers are the most supported printers
>in the world (they also happen to be relatively cheap and have excellent
>quality).

Well, er, that may not be the best advice. One should definitely buy an
Epson *compatible*; but that could be anything from a bottom-of-the
line Panasonic (that's what I have, and I'm quite happy with it) to a
laser printer. Generally, when one compares on prices, Epson (the company)
does not come out as the leader. When I bought mine (2 years ago),
Panasonic/Roland (the same printer under different labels) was far ahead
on price; two Epson dealers *told* me to buy Panasonic instead.

If you're printing music scores, you should probably look at a 24-pin
printer. ALPS (I believe) recently announced one for US$449. The increased
resolution may well be worth it to you.

BTW, although just about all Epson compatibles have a graphics mode, most
of them are slow in graphics mode: whether I'm using First Cadd in ST mode,
or MS Word in Mac mode, throughput can be measered as around 10 pages per
*hour* (no, I'm using the parallel interface, not the serial one!). If
you're really serious about doing a lot of graphics printing, look for the
fastest printer you can afford.

Best bet: generate a file full of stuff typical of what you're planning to
print. Put it on a disk formatted on an IBM PS/2 (your ST can read or write
such disks). Then take it into various stores and ask to print it on various
printers. Look at the quality of the print, and the time taken to print it.
List the printers which do an acceptable job on that test, and then think
about price, support, etc. If a dealer won't let you do that, then find
another dealer.

Vincent Manis                    | manis@cs.ubc.ca
The Invisible City of Kitezh     | manis@cs.ubc.cdn
Department of Computer Science   | manis@ubc.csnet
University of British Columbia   | {ihnp4!alberta,uw-beaver,uunet}!
<<NOTE NEW ADDRESS>>             |      ubc-cs!manis

jac423@leah.Albany.Edu (Julius A Cisek) (04/28/88)

In article <2208@ubc-cs.UUCP>, manis@faculty.cs.ubc.ca (Vince Manis) writes:
> If you're printing music scores, you should probably look at a 24-pin
> printer. ALPS (I believe) recently announced one for US$449. The increased
> resolution may well be worth it to you.

Sure! But keep in mind that the person who originally asked about this
was not willing to spend more than $200! Also, the REAL Epsons have
better quality print than any other printer. And most importantly (for
music prints) it doesn't have those ugly blank lines in the graphix
mode.

| \ | \ |\ |\ | \ | \ |\ \/  | Spectral Fantasies |   jac423@leah.albany.edu

Thomas_E_Zerucha@cup.portal.com (04/30/88)

I haven't used it too much, but I have EZ Score +.  I use my Panasonic 1080
and it makes very nice printouts.  They are improving the drivers (and upping
the price) for 1.1 which should be available in may - they use GDOS fonts, but
not GDOS itself, and support most common printers - it comes with many config
files, but I suspect that any inexpensive but good Epson compatible will
work well with it.