[rec.music.synth] Midi File Format

kurth@sco.COM (Kurt Hutchison) (06/21/88)

Does anyone know how I can get a copy of the
new Standard Midi File Format?  I have heard
that there is a standard and that several well-known
sequencer vendors have converted to this format.

I posted about this about a month ago and
never received a response.

	Thanks in advance,
		- kurt
Kurt Hutchison		The Santa Cruz Operation	Software Engineer
Trumpet player, synth player, pianist, cyclist, philosopher at large
The above opinions (if any) are my own

hcj@lzaz.ATT.COM (HC Johnson) (06/21/88)

Subject: Midi File Format

>Does anyone know how I can get a copy of the
>new Standard Midi File Format?  I have heard
>that there is a standard and that several well-known
>sequencer vendors have converted to this format.
>
>I posted about this about a month ago and
>never received a response.
>
>	Thanks in advance,
>		- kurt

There is attempt to produce a MIDI standard.  The current DRAFT standard
is 0.06, and can be obtained from:

Dave Oppenheim
Opcode Systems
1024 Hamilton Court
Menlo Park, California 94025
(415) 321-8977

I got my copy by just calling.

Some personal comments on the MIDI standard.

I have Master Tracks Pro (Atari ST).  This excellent sequencer supports
two formats: Its own, and MIDI std.
Its own format saves EVERYTHING, and can be reloaded without loss of
information.
When MIDI format is reloaded, some niggly details are lost.

MIDI standard is easily implemented, IF YOU ARE A PROGRAMMER.

I have written a converter for Music Studio to MIDI STD, Master tracks (C64)
to MIDI STD, and Music construction set to MIDI STD.
The first two were straight forward; the latter requires interfacing to
SMUS-IFF, the other standard format.  SMUS is in note-on-staff notation,
leaving timing to be recreated.

Howard Johnson
ATT  ...att!lzaz!hcj
201 591 1598

Randomizer@cup.portal.com (06/28/88)

I just got back from the Atlanta NAMM ---
The MIDI FILE format has been approved ( with some changes).
YEAH!

Aron_nelson@cup.portal.com

p.s. I don't know what the changes were.