[rec.music.synth] Hybrid Arts SMPTEtrack....

ian@umd5.umd.edu (Ian Blumgart) (07/07/88)

<take that you nasty, filthy, pig-dog line eater, HA!>

OK, I'm about to shell out $$$ for a 'be-all, end-all' MIDI
package for the ST and I want some info on Hybrid Arts SMPTEtrack
package.  I would like the following points addressed if possible:

1)  Ease of use (ie - different modes, step mode, graphics, etc.)

2)  The SMPTE feature

3)  Copy Protection (if any, how does it make life difficult?)

4)  Recommended System Set-Up

5)  Nifty Features (ie - HybriSwitch, patch ed/lib stuff)

6)  Approximate Retail Price (where can I get the best deal?)

7)  Any known bugs, quirks, problems, complaints

I think that should do it.  I have already checked out Dr. Ts KCS
Level II with MPE and was suitably impressed, now I am checking the
competition.

Thanx,
       Rick Random
"Stay American, and have a nice day"

rwn@ihlpa.ATT.COM (Bob Neumann) (07/08/88)

In article <2891@umd5.umd.edu>, ian@umd5.umd.edu (Ian Blumgart) writes:
> <take that you nasty, filthy, pig-dog line eater, HA!>
> OK, I'm about to shell out $$$ for a 'be-all, end-all' MIDI
> package for the ST and I want some info on Hybrid Arts SMPTEtrack
> package.  I would like the following points addressed if possible:
> 1)  Ease of use (ie - different modes, step mode, graphics, etc.)

	Very easy to use.

> 2)  The SMPTE feature

	It works for me all the time.  Very reliable, no problems
	during the past year I've owned it.

> 3)  Copy Protection (if any, how does it make life difficult?)

	You can make as many copies as you want.  The program
	will not run unless the "smptemate" box is attached to the ATARI.

> 4)  Recommended System Set-Up

	I use SMPTETRACK ST with an ATARI 1040ST w/ the higher resolution
	monochrome monitor.  The resolution of the ATARI color monitor
	is not as good as the monochrome monitor.

> 5)  Nifty Features (ie - HybriSwitch, patch ed/lib stuff)

	These are all extra programs.  Although, there is a simple
	version of their "Genpatch" librarian supplied free with
	the SMPTETRACK package.

> 6)  Approximate Retail Price (where can I get the best deal?)

	I paid $400.00 from Guitar Schack in Chicago.

> 7)  Any known bugs, quirks, problems, complaints

	There is no automatic looping feature.  You have to
	link together multiple instances of one phrase (as
	if you were arranging a song) to get a pseudo-endless
	loop.

	Hybrid Arts' BBS is free and anyone can access it by
	calling 213-826-4288.  You can converse with the developer
	of the program, Stephan Daystrom, and suggest new features.

> I think that should do it.  I have already checked out Dr. Ts KCS
> Level II with MPE and was suitably impressed, now I am checking the
> competition.

I hear about lots of problems with Dr T's stuff regarding their
copy protection schemes and their incompatibility with some
hard disks, etc. But the choice is yours.  Talk to some owners
of the other products before you make a decision.

			Bob Neumann