[rec.music.synth] MIDILisp for the Mac??

brians@falstaf.SanDiego.NCR.COM (Brian Smith) (08/08/88)

I know that there are two packages available for the Macintosh which have
MIDI subroutines (MIDIBasic and MIDIPascal). I also read in Computer Music
Journal some time ago that their was a version of LISP floating around
somewhere that had MIDI functions as part of the environment.

I heard talk that this dialect, MIDILisp, was available for the Mac now.
Does anyone know if this is true, and if so where does one find it??

--brian smith
--brians@falstaf.SanDiego.NCR.COM

phil@mit-amt.MEDIA.MIT.EDU (Phil Sohn) (08/09/88)

In article <132@falstaf.SanDiego.NCR.COM> brians@falstaf.SanDiego.NCR.COM (Brian Smith) writes:
>I heard talk that this dialect, MIDILisp, was available for the Mac now.
>Does anyone know if this is true, and if so where does one find it??
>
>--brian smith
>--brians@falstaf.SanDiego.NCR.COM

	MIDILisp was written at the MIT Media Lab.  If you really want
it, you should talk to either tod@ems.media.mit.edu (Tod Machover) or
lee@ems.media.mit.edu (Lee Boynton).  If you include some idea of the
project you are going to be working on, you will have a better chance
of getting it.  I almost forgot it runs under Allegro Common Lisp, so
it goes without saying that you need a copy of ACL.

				phil@ems.media.mit.edu

tobias@maui.cs.ucla.edu (Jay Tobias) (08/09/88)

In article <132@falstaf.SanDiego.NCR.COM> brians@falstaf.SanDiego.NCR.COM (Brian Smith) writes:
>I heard talk that this dialect, MIDILisp, was available for the Mac now.
>Does anyone know if this is true, and if so where does one find it??

   I believe that MIDILisp was developed by Marc Batier at
IRCAM, Institute for Research in Computers and Music, in Paris.
Sorry, but I don't know how to reach them, although I do
know that they have an e-mail address.  Does anybody else
know where to get this package?

   They also have a very nice user-interface design tool.

Jay Tobias
tobias@cs.ucla.edu
..!ucbvax!ucla-cs!tobias

looney@uoregon.uoregon.edu (Kevin Thomas Looney) (08/10/88)

     I recently completed a thesis involving computers and music.  I
spent some time tracking down MIDI tools for it.  I do not have
a copy of MIDI LISP.  I also know that it was not avaiable for
public consumption last fall.  Stanford U. was using it however at
CCRMA for some programming classes they were teaching.  I talked to
Chris Chaffe over there some time ago, who gave me the name of the
developer in Paris who made MIDI-LISP (From what I understand, It is a
super-set of Le Lisp), the name escapes me presently.  Stanford had
a Beta-version, and were reluctant to let anything go without permission
from the developer.

     Some other options to consider:

     I purchased MIDI Pascal from Altech, and I also have Austin Developments
MIDI-Drivers.  Both have .REL files and may be linked to code that is linker
compatible with that format (I believe Allegro will be soon providing
'Foreign Function' call capability to their Common LISP, providing a way
to link in .REL files).  I personally have been working on linking these
routines to a proprietary rule-based system here at the University of Oregon
called ORBS.  It is a Scheme (lexically scoped LISP) interpreter with
Object-Oriented programming, and it has the capacity to create multiple
Rule-based interpreters.  The Mac ported version of ORBS is written in
Lightspeed C, thus it has the capacity  to link .REL files.

     In terms of my experience with the Altech and Austin Drivers,
The Altech ones provide fairly good documentation and I have had no problem
with them so far.  The Austin Drivers have little to no documentation (except
inline source doc) and no examples of usage.  They do however Time-Stamp
the incoming MIDI info (Altech MIDIPascal 2.0 does not, 3.0 in the near
future will).  The Austin Drivers are free (address was written in a newsletter
about a month ago) and the Altech drivers are under $100.

     There is at least one alternate language I know of available with
MIDI.  This is LOGO.  I believe Northwestern U may be using it (I'm not
sure, but I think Allegro may have developed it).

     Does anybody else know about other programming languages that
speak MIDI?

Kevin Looney
Looney@uoregon.edu
(503) 686-3473

csz@well.UUCP (Carter Scholz) (08/18/88)

In article <2542@uoregon.uoregon.edu> looney@drizzle.UUCP (Kevin Thomas Looney) writes:
>     Does anybody else know about other programming languages that
>speak MIDI?
>Looney@uoregon.edu
>(503) 686-3473
>=============================================================================

Yes, I wrote an article on music programming languages, which will
be appearing in an upcoming issue of Keyboard magazine Real Soon Now,
Maybe.  (I've been paid, so I know they'll print it.)
   I was unable to find a copy of MidiLisp, though I e-mailed IRCAM
about it.  Someone I know had a working copy a year or two ago, but it
required the almighty-expensive LeLisp ($700+) to run.  Jim Miller's
IBM program Personal Composer includes a LISP dialect which is,
predictably enough, unusably slow on a stock IBM-PC.
    I wish I'd known about ORBS when I was writing the article.  Anyone
with more intelligence about programming languages, let us know here!
This sort of stuff is all too prone to be buried by requests for patches,
pricing, and other consumer info.

Carter Scholz
...lll-crg!well!csz
well!csz@ucbvax.berkeley.edu

obrien@anpiel.aero.org (Michael O'Brien) (08/19/88)

In article <6838@well.UUCP> csz@well.UUCP (Carter Scholz) writes:
>In article <2542@uoregon.uoregon.edu> looney@drizzle.UUCP (Kevin Thomas Looney) writes:
>>     Does anybody else know about other programming languages that
>>speak MIDI?
>
>Anyone
>with more intelligence about programming languages, let us know here!

Well, Steve Pope at ParcPlace Systems has what looks to be a
fabulous MIDI system done in Smalltalk.  It'll run on a Mac II,
and given the fact that the latest ParcPlace Systems Smalltalk
a) supports user-written primitives, and b) runs under $1,000 on the
Mac II, plus the fact that with Smalltalk, you get full source to
the entire world, it looks like the ultimate "kickass" MIDI
system to me.  I can't wait.
--
Mike O'Brien
obrien@aerospace.aero.org

pmy@vivaldi.acc.virginia.edu (Pete Yadlowsky) (08/20/88)

In article <36255@aero.ARPA> obrien@anpiel.UUCP (Michael O'Brien) writes:
>In article <6838@well.UUCP> csz@well.UUCP (Carter Scholz) writes:
>>In article <2542@uoregon.uoregon.edu> looney@drizzle.UUCP (Kevin Thomas Looney) writes:
>>>     Does anybody else know about other programming languages that
>>>speak MIDI?

>>Anyone
>>with more intelligence about programming languages, let us know here!

>Well, Steve Pope at ParcPlace Systems has what looks to be a
>fabulous MIDI system done in Smalltalk.  It'll run on a Mac II,
>and given the fact that the latest ParcPlace Systems Smalltalk
>a) supports user-written primitives, and b) runs under $1,000 on the
>Mac II, plus the fact that with Smalltalk, you get full source to
>the entire world, it looks like the ultimate "kickass" MIDI
>system to me.  I can't wait.

Sounds good, but this looks very much like a product already
available for Macs and Amigas: HMSL (Hierarchical Music Specification
Language). I know, I know, I've been bellowing from the rooftops
for this one, but it seems that many interested (or potentially
interested) persons have been missing the articles, judging from
net.questions.

HMSL is a Forth-based, object-oriented development environment
for real-time experimentation, composition and performance.
Basically, the programmer creates objects..."players", "instruments",
"shapes" (loosely, scores)...and arranges them in hierarchical
structures which define and control the interactions of these objects
with the outside world and with each other.
Because it's built on Forth, it's as extensible as the programmer
wants it to be. Source is provided. It handles MIDI quite well,
but is in no way restricted to MIDI, and can be made to control
or respond to any sort of hardware you'd care to connect to your
computer. I know of one person who's using HMSL to control kinetic
sculpture.

Price: $150 plus cost of Forth for your machine. For complete
info, write:

	Frog Peak Music
	P.O. Box 9911
	Oakland, CA   94613

There's a phone number, too, but I don't have it handy. Let me know if
you want it. The authors also support an HMSL BBS. I'll try to answer
questions if they aren't too general. This thing is large and complex,
and is difficult to discuss with those who may be unfamiliar with Forth
or object-oriented programming.

No affiliation.
Peter M. Yadlowsky
Academic Computing Center
University of Virginia
pmy@vivaldi.acc.Virginia.EDU

vsl@litp.UUCP (LEIGHTON 336.25.25 p5392) (09/07/88)

Yes MIDI LISP is a super-set of Le_Lisp. It's developer is
Pierre Lavoie. As far as I know it is still in beta.
You may contact Pierre at :

ACT Informatique
12 Rue de la Montagne Sainte Genevieve
75 005 PARIS, FRANCE