[rec.music.synth] Language for the ATARI

houser@mcnc.org (Kevin D. Houser ) (12/13/88)

 I need some reccomendations on a programming language for the Atari 1040
ST that supports the midi ports. I am looking for something that will compile
to 68000 object code. Hopefully, it will also allow use of the GEM windowing
environment. Is GFA basic a good choice, or will I have to write 6850 device
drivers myself? Also, what Pascal packages support midi i/o and GEM?

Email: houser@mcnc.org
(919) 859-5467

Thanx,
Kevin Houser

logajan@ns.UUCP (John Logajan x3118) (12/15/88)

Kevin D. Houser writes:
> I need ...  a language for the Atari
> ST that supports the midi ports ... that will compile
> to 68000 object code ... use the GEM windowing environment.
> Is GFA basic a good choice?

You can do all that stuff from GFA, and compile it with the GFA compiler.

I/O is buffered by the bios and GFA makes use of that.  X=INP(Y) and OUT Y,X
handle midi I/O. (I don't recall the value of Y for midi.)  Given the
possibility of hanging waiting for input your can do a INP?(Y) test first.

Or you can open the midi ports as files. (I've done this with the RS232 port
for output, and it works great, but I haven't succeeded in doing so for the
input.)

My development language of choice on the Atari ST is GFA Basic.  If you
eventually need speed, you can poke in some assembly language routines
or you can port over to another language.

--
- John M. Logajan @ Network Systems; 7600 Boone Ave; Brooklyn Park, MN 55428 -
-    ...rutgers!umn-cs!ns!logajan                or     john@logajan.mn.org  -