[rec.music.synth] DIY MIDI interface?

fjo@ttrdf.UUCP (Frank Owen ) (12/28/88)

  Has anyone figured out how to kludge up a Do-It-Yourself MIDI interface
for the Macintosh? It seems that the one Apple sells has practically no
hardware, and should be a snap to build. Is this correct?  I think the
cheapest commercially availible interface runs about $80. That's not an
astronomical amount of money, but if I could make one myself for, say $20
and a couple hours of assembly time, I could use the money saved for
other toys.

  Any info, or pointers in the right direction would be appreciated.

Frank Owen (fjo@ttrdf)  312-982-2182
AT&T Bell Laboratories
5555 Touhy Ave., Skokie, IL  60077
PATH:  ...!att!ttrdf!fjo
--

henges@ingr.com. (John Hengesbach) (12/31/88)

In article <817@ttrdf.UUCP> fjo@ttrdf.UUCP (Frank Owen ) writes:

>  Has anyone figured out how to kludge up a Do-It-Yourself MIDI interface
>for the Macintosh? It seems that the one Apple sells has practically no
A reply...

			MINIMAL MAC--MIDI INTERFACE
			===========================

	Well, here it is all you MIDI fans.  THE ultimate in
	simplicity!!  This is a simple schematic for a serial
	to MIDI converter.

		There are two functions performed here.  One is the
	conversion from current loop to RS-422.  The second function
	is supplying the 1 MHz signal for the serial chip to sync
	up with the 31.5K baud rate of MIDI.

               +-------+     +------+
To MAC   4   10|26LS32 |     |7407  |
Serial  >------+       |11  1|      |2    +------+    5
Port     5    9|       +-----+      +-----+R=220 +-----<  \
DB9 pin >-------       |     |      |     +------+         \  (5 pin DIN socket)
Numbers        |       |     |      |                       | MIDI OUT
               +-------+     +------+                      / (to instrument)
                +------+                  +------+    4   /
      +5 volts -+R=390 +--+     +5 volts -+R=220 +-----<
                +------+  |               +------+
               +-------+  |  +------+1    +------+    4
         8    6|26LS31 |  |  |MCT2  +-----+R=220 +-----< \
        >------+       |11| 5|      |     +------+        \  (5 pin DIN socket)
         9    5|       +--+--+      |                      | MIDI IN
        >-------       |    4|      |2                5   / (from instrument)
               |       |   +-+      +------------------< /
               +-------+   | +------+

                           Ground
         <<<<<<<<<<<<< DATA FLOW << (MIDI INSTRUMENT TO MAC ) <<<

               +-------+     +------+
         7   10|26LS31 |     |1 MHZ |
         3   11|       +-----+      |
        >-------       |     |      |
               |       |     +      |
               +-------+     +------+

	Power connections:

	  		GROUND	+5
			-----	--
	  7407		7	14
	  26LS31	8,12	4,16
	  26LS32	8,12	4,16
	  OSCILLATOR	7	14

Notes:

	The optical isolator MCT-2 above can probably be any relatively
fast optical coupler.  Note that the 390 ohm resistormay need to be
adjusted to make sure the output does not saturate.  Using a scope
while feeding a MIDI signal in should show you whether the signal
looks clean.

	The diagram has been drawn to show MAC signals on the left
and MIDI signals on the right.  There have also been allowances made
for the fact that 80 column ascii displays are not **exactly**
graphics terminals. Also note that the MAC pin numbers are for the
DB9 connector **NOT** the 8 pin mini-DIN connector!!

	The age old question of where to get power for this always
remains.  On the pre-MAC-PLUSs, there was power available from the
serial port connector.  I solved this problem by finding a 7 VDC
AC adapter at a parts store and using a 5 volt voltage regulator
IC to bring it down to 5 volts.  This is left as an exercise for
the student.....

	The 26LS31 and 26LS32 are the same type of chips which are
used in the MAC for RS-42? conversion.  I got them from a store in
Santa Clara California (Anchor Electronics  (408) 727-3693).  They
also have 1 Mhz Oscillators as well.

	I have built several variations of this over the last two
years and have had good success using a variety of music software
with them.

John Hengesbach
(205)772-1669

uunet!ingr!henges
Intergraph Corporation
Huntsville, AL 35807

nick@lfcs.ed.ac.uk (Nick Rothwell) (12/31/88)

In article <817@ttrdf.UUCP> fjo@ttrdf.UUCP (Frank Owen ) writes:

>  Has anyone figured out how to kludge up a Do-It-Yourself MIDI interface
>for the Macintosh? It seems that the one Apple sells has practically no
>hardware, and should be a snap to build. Is this correct?

I have a MacDrawing of a MIDI interface for the Mac, originally by Kirk
Austin of MacTutor, I think. It has a dozen, perhaps 20 components. Doesn't
look too difficult- except that I know nothing about electronics, so I'll
have to ask my dad. (just kidding...)
   Shall I post a BinHex'ed form of the MacDrawing?

>Frank Owen (fjo@ttrdf)  312-982-2182

		Nick
--
Nick Rothwell,	Laboratory for Foundations of Computer Science, Edinburgh.
		nick@lfcs.ed.ac.uk    <Atlantic Ocean>!mcvax!ukc!lfcs!nick

sp@killer.DALLAS.TX.US (Steve Parker) (01/03/89)

In article <817@ttrdf.UUCP>, fjo@ttrdf.UUCP (Frank Owen ) writes:

>   Has anyone figured out how to kludge up a Do-It-Yourself MIDI interface
> for the Macintosh? It seems that the one Apple sells has practically no
> hardware, and should be a snap to build. Is this correct?

Yea, pretty much.  The one I made cost me only about $10 since I had a few
scrap parts.  The only trick is you have to pump a 500k/1M/2M (depending on
software) clock signal back into the ext clock line, since there is no way
to divide the internal clock in the SCC to get 31.25k baud.  Also, you DO
have to use those pc900 optos on the inputs, garden-variety optos are simply
not fast enough.

I think there was an old issue of Dr. Dobbs (not positive) that had a schematic
for a mac interface in it.  If you write me (and aren't in a hurry) I can try
to dig up the exact reference.

- Steven Parker (sp@killer.Dallas.TX.US)

czei@accelerator.eng.ohio-state.edu (Michael S. Czeiszperger) (01/03/89)

In article <6636@killer.DALLAS.TX.US> sp@killer.DALLAS.TX.US (Steve Parker) writes:
>[...]  The only trick is you have to pump a 500k/1M/2M (depending on
>software) clock signal back into the ext clock line, since there is no way
>to divide the internal clock in the SCC to get 31.25k baud.  Also, you DO

I built mine with a 500kHz clock, but later changed it to 1MHz because
of compatibility problems.  Yes, you would think Mac MIDI software
should be able to handle all three clock speeds, but in practice,
the default is *always* 1MHz, and some software doesn't support anything
else.  If you're building your own, save yourself some hassles and
use a 1MHz clock.

--
Michael S. Czeiszperger   | "milihelen: The amount of beauty required to launch
Systems Analyst           |             a single ship."

englandr@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Scott Englander) (01/05/89)

In article <12456@dcatla.UUCP> dlmnm@sunc.UUCP (Michael N. Moran) writes:
>On a related topic, I'd like to know if there is a "correct" way to
>setup a serial port to use external clocking. I could muck with the
>serial chip directly but ... the implications make me shudder.

There is a line on the Mac serial port called HSKi or TRxC, which you
can use to feed in an external clock signal.  You need to use an
interface chip to convert TTL to bipolar signals, of course.
--

                                               - Scott

waksman@eniac.seas.upenn.edu (Adlai Waksman) (01/22/89)

In article <12456@dcatla.UUCP> dlmnm@sunc.UUCP (Michael N. Moran) writes:
>On a related topic, I'd like to know if there is a "correct" way to
>setup a serial port to use external clocking.  ...

Most MIDI software expects a 1 MHz external clock on the Mac's HSKi line
(also called Ext Clk or TRxC; pin 2 on the Mini-DIN 8-pin serial port, or
pin 7 on the pre-Mac Plus DB-9 serial port).  This is not a TTL clock; it
must swing both above and below 0 volts.

To convert a TTL clock signal (0-5v) to a bipolar one, Kirk Austin's method
from his October 1985 MacTutor schematic has worked for me.  Couple the
signal capacitatively:
	                        /------------o  to Mac HSKi (-2.5 - +2.5v)
	1MHz TTL clock ----||---+
	                             1K    _|_ GND (Mini DIN #4, DB-9 #3;
	                                   ///	and TTL circuits' ground)

___________________________________________Adlai Waksman(@eniac.seas.upenn.edu)
     ...The Universe is thronged with fire and light,
 And we but smaller suns, which, skinned, trapped and kept
Enshrined in blood and precious bones, hold back the night.  (Ray Bradbury)