[rec.music.synth] looking for a Postscript converter program

randall@thor.SanDiego.NCR.COM (Randall Rathbun) (04/07/89)

HELP! I was given the wrong information about the type of HP
printer that was going to be used with the Personal Composer
Music program on an IBM XT compatible.

The printer turned out to be a Deskjet, not a Laserjet II. Un-
fortunately the music program outputs files in page format not
in line format.

Does anyone have a program, or can point me to a source, whereby
I can print out Postscript page files on the HP Deskjet printer?

Your help is greatly appreciated.
				    - Randall
Please respond via email.

Randall.Rathbun@SanDiego.NCR.COM     tele: 619-485-2999/2358/3272
NCR E&M - S.D. Dept 2861   16550 W Bernardo Dr.  San Diego  92127

cplai@daisy.UUCP (Chung-Pang Lai) (04/08/89)

]
]Does anyone have a program, or can point me to a source, whereby
]I can print out Postscript page files on the HP Deskjet printer?

Looks like you are way off.  Even a Laserjet II cannot print
PostScript without a hardware upgrade.  QMS JetScript is what
you need if you have a LJ II.  For a Deskjet?  Someone else may
be able to help you, not me!

You probably should file for consumer fraud.

Good Luck!

--
.signature under construction ...
{pyramid, osu-cis, uunet, killer}!daisy!cplai    C.P. Lai

mark@kodak.UUCP (Mark Hilliard) (04/12/89)

In article <2908@daisy.UUCP> cplai@daisy.UUCP (Chung-Pang Lai) writes:
>In article <1226@ncr-sd.SanDiego.NCR.COM> randall@thor.SanDiego.NCR.COM (Randall Rathbun) writes:
>]The printer turned out to be a Deskjet, not a Laserjet II.

I do not know what operating system you are using, but YES, you can print
postscript files on the HP Deskjet, in fact, I have been doing it for
for several months.  For you DOS users, there are 2 programs that have
drivers for Deskjet postscript: GOSCRIPT and FREEDOM OF PRESS.  I have
tested both, and found FOP to be a little better, but it costs 2x as
much as GS.  Both programs let you use your host processor to run
a postscript interpiter. There is a postscript processor board from
Everex, called the POST CARD PLUS.  I also have this board intstalled.
It provides 3 to 5 meg of ram, a 12meg 80186 cpu, and the postscript
program.  When installed, it becomes a LPT: port, and works GREAT. I think
that the board costs around 1.7k now, but it drives SEVERAL printers
including the Deskjet.

jimw@guardian.UUCP (Jim Willing) (04/12/89)

In article <1226@ncr-sd.SanDiego.NCR.COM>, randall@thor.SanDiego.NCR.COM (Randall Rathbun) writes:
> The printer turned out to be a Deskjet, not a Laserjet II. Un-
> fortunately the music program outputs files in page format not
> in line format.
>
> Does anyone have a program, or can point me to a source, whereby
> I can print out Postscript page files on the HP Deskjet printer?

There is a program called 'Go-Script' that runs on PC compatable
systems and is a reasonably good Postscript interpreter.  I run it
with a HP LaserJet II and am quite happy with the results.  I believe
it also has a driver for the Deskjet as well...  Retails for about
$200.00

--
usually found at:   ..tektronix!tessi!bucket!jimw   | Any Vax 750 that is
              or:   .. tessi!bucket!guardian!jimw   | to be thrown out in