[rec.music.synth] Voice MIDI

iggy@mtunb.ATT.COM (Igor Sinyak) (08/30/89)

Hi,
	I believe that when we compose music, we hear it in our head first,
and then transfer it to our instrument of choice.  Wouldn't it be neat if
there was something to extract notes from our head?  Well, since I don't
think that will be available for a while, the next best thing seems to be
singing or humming the tune you're thinking of.  Although I can play what's
in my head, by the time I pick out the notes, I've ruined the idea by the
keys I've hit by mistake.

I think I could come up with incredible solos if I could sing them into my
composition software instead of playing them.  So is there anything out
there that can hadle that?  All I would need is a note on/off, and a
velocity.

Thanks,
		Iggy
--
Iggy Sinyak		iggy@mtunb.att.com
Drexel U.

tynor@pyr.gatech.EDU (Steve Tynor) (08/30/89)

In article <1638@mtunb.ATT.COM> iggy@mtunb.ATT.COM (Igor Sinyak) writes:
>I think I could come up with incredible solos if I could sing them into my
>composition software instead of playing them.  So is there anything out
>there that can hadle that?  All I would need is a note on/off, and a
>velocity.

Check out the IPL Pitchrider series. There are at least 3 models that I'm
aware of. One is designed for guitars and tracks 6 analog signals (~$800?),
another is designed for wind instruments, brass, etc. and has lots of
performance related features (like generating 'chords' based on the tracked
pitch (~$700?). A third unit is a stripped down version of the second, with
very minimal performance control, but does send MIDI note on/off and
velocity (~$200). The 3rd unit is specifically designed for sequencing
applications where the nifty performance features of the more expensive
units. It also has a variable integration time knob that improves pitch
accuracy at the expense of time delay.  These are all really intended for
wind instrument players, but I've heard that they do reasonably well on
voice.

Excuse any errors in the above - it's from memory. I haven't used any of the
above, but have heard great things about the 2nd unit (I think it's called
the Pitchrider 2000 MkII). I'm currently saving up for the cheapo version.
If you're interested, send me email; I'll look up the phone number of the
company (I believe they're in British Columbia - Vancouver?).

Never put off until tomorrow what you can avoid altogether.

    Steve Tynor
    Georgia Tech Research Institute
    tynor@gitpyr.gatech.edu

harlan@bbn.com (Harlan Feinstein) (08/30/89)

In article <1638@mtunb.ATT.COM> iggy@mtunb.ATT.COM (Igor Sinyak) writes:
> Although I can play what's in my head, by the time I pick out the notes,
> I've ruined the idea by the keys I've hit by mistake.  I think I could
> come up with incredible solos if I could sing them into my composition
> software instead of playing them.

Here's a less expensive and truly innovative idea: tape record yourself singing
a solo, then go back and transcribe it.  I haven't heard the latest pitch-
tracking stuff, but I'm sure it has its limitations.  Probably couldn't track
the bends and inflections one would sing.  Well?

--Harlan

pmy@jeeves.acc.Virginia.EDU (Pete Yadlowsky) (08/30/89)

In article <1638@mtunb.ATT.COM> iggy@mtunb.ATT.COM (Igor Sinyak) writes:

>I think I could come up with incredible solos if I could sing them into my
>composition software instead of playing them.  So is there anything out
>there that can hadle that?  All I would need is a note on/off, and a
>velocity.

You might look into a pitch-to-midi converter. There are several
available, but their accuracy and tracking abilities vary so you'll
want to audition a few. I have some personal experience with Roland's
VP70 (which functions as a 4-voice harmonizer as well as a converter)
and it seems to work well enough, though I haven't tried using it to
compose from voice.

Peter M. Yadlowsky		| "Pay no attention to that man
Academic Computing Center	|	behind the curtain!"
University of Virginia		|
pmy@Virginia.EDU		|

rahardj@ccu.UManitoba.CA (rahardj) (08/31/89)

iggy@mtunb.att.com wrote this :
I think I could come up with incredible solos if I could sing them into my
composition software instead of playing them.  So is there anything out
there that can hadle that?  All I would need is a note on/off, and a
velocity.

There are several "voice to MIDI" devices, some works for specific
instruments (flute, violin, etc). Here we have voice to MIDI
"PITCH RIDER" (I forgot the series). It works great.

There was an article in KEYBOARD magazine about this. I believe
it was last year's (the cover was David Foster).

-Budi-

shin@oddjob.uchicago.edu (Shin Kurokawa) (09/08/89)

In article <1638@mtunb.ATT.COM> iggy@mtunb.ATT.COM (Igor Sinyak) writes:

>I think I could come up with incredible solos if I could sing them into my
>composition software instead of playing them.  So is there anything out
>there that can hadle that?  All I would need is a note on/off, and a
>velocity.

Has anyone checked out the Fairlight Voicetracker? What it is a
monophonic analog-signal-to-MIDI converter that responds to
pitch, amplitude, velocity, envelope, and the harmonic content
of the incoming signal. It's a marvelous piece of machine, and
I've seen several artists use it to track sax, voice, and flute.
You can even see how the Voitracker is performing by hooking it
up to a crt.

--Shin--
] Shin Kurokawa    [ Internet: shin@oddjob.uchicago.edu
] 5640 S.Ellis Ave.[ UUCP    : {clout,mimsy,ncar,nucsrl,rutgers}!oddjob!shin
] AstroAstroCenter [ BITNET  : shin%oddjob@UCHICAGO.BITNET
] Chicago,IL 60637 [ SPAN    : LASR::ODDJOB::SHIN

rahardj@ccu.umanitoba.ca (Budi Rahardjo) (09/08/89)

I heard FairLight Voicetracker is the best, but the problem is
the "$$$". I don't think I can afford it .

B. Rahardjo
poor musician poor musician poor musician poor musician poor mus