[rec.music.synth] Cursor keys

nsw@cbnewsm.ATT.COM (Neil Weinstock) (11/30/89)

In article <6080@ucdavis.ucdavis.edu> rogers@iris.ucdavis.edu (Brewski Rogers) writes:

>Recently, I had the opportunity to screw around with an Apple 3 for a few
>hours. Yes, that's "APPLE ]|[" the old sequel to the apple 2 which
>died a pitiful and ignominious death. This computer is from circa 1982,
>a true computing dinosaur. Anyway, it had one feature that I would really
>like to have on my own computer: pressure sensitive cursor keys.
>When editing a file for example, you could push the key normally,
>and scroll slowly through the file, or push the key a little harder,
>and the cursor would double its speed! The cursor keys had a nice feel,
>too. It was easy to select either slow or fast mode. If you pushed
>normally, it felt like a normal key, bt with a bit more force, you
>could feel a slight click, and the cursor went into turbo mode.

Hey, I like it, aftertouch on computer keyboards!  So when are we going to
see velocity sensitive keyboard?  Hit it soft, get lower case.  Hit it harder,
get upper case.  Hit it really hard, get boldface.  The possibitilities are
endless!  Then we can get a pitch bend wheel to control sub/superscripting...

Did the Apple /// keyboard have a weighted piano-action?

;-) ;-) ;-)

    ________________    __________________    ____________________________
////                \\//                  \\//                            \\\\
\\\\ Neil Weinstock //\\ att!cord!nsw  or //\\ "Oh dear, now I shall have ////
//// AT&T Bell Labs \\// nsw@cord.att.com \\//  to create more Martians." \\\\
\\\\________________//\\__________________//\\____________________________////

mjkobb@mit-amt.MEDIA.MIT.EDU (Michael J Kobb) (11/30/89)

In article <7185@cbnewsm.ATT.COM> nsw@cbnewsm.ATT.COM (Neil Weinstock) writes:

:Hey, I like it, aftertouch on computer keyboards!  So when are we going to
:see velocity sensitive keyboard?  Hit it soft, get lower case.  Hit it harder,
:get upper case.  Hit it really hard, get boldface.  The possibitilities are
:endless!  Then we can get a pitch bend wheel to control sub/superscripting...
:[...]
:;-) ;-) ;-)

Sure, and if you hit it with a hammer, you get Bold Uppercase.  Hit the
period hard, and you get an exclamation point.  Just brush it, and you get
a question mark.

etc..

:-)

--Mike

unhd (Jason W Nyberg) (12/04/89)

In article <7185@cbnewsm.ATT.COM> nsw@cbnewsm.ATT.COM (Neil Weinstock) writes:
>Hey, I like it, aftertouch on computer keyboards!  So when are we going to
>see velocity sensitive keyboard?  Hit it soft, get lower case.  Hit it harder,
>get upper case.  Hit it really hard, get boldface.  The possibitilities are
>endless!  Then we can get a pitch bend wheel to control sub/superscripting...
>
>Did the Apple /// keyboard have a weighted piano-action?
>
>;-) ;-) ;-)

If I had one of these, my programs would look like shit. (I have a very short
temper when it comes to debugging)yy
p>;-) ;-) ;-)

(By the way, due to keen interest, Lollybob should be in comp.sys.binaries
soon now.  Not right now, but soon, so relax!)

                ---------------------------------------
                |              ^v^                    |       Jason Nyberg
                |         I    \ /     SKIING!        |
                |               v                     |
                ---------------------------------------

wiseman@tellab5.TELLABS.COM (Jeff Wiseman) (12/04/89)

In article <1118@mit-amt.MEDIA.MIT.EDU>, mjkobb@mit-amt.MEDIA.MIT.EDU (Michael J Kobb) writes:
> :get upper case.  Hit it really hard, get boldface.  The possibitilities are
> :endless!  Then we can get a pitch bend wheel to control sub/superscripting...
> :[...]
> :;-) ;-) ;-)
>
> Sure, and if you hit it with a hammer, you get Bold Uppercase.  Hit the
> period hard, and you get an exclamation point.  Just brush it, and you get
> a question mark.

Hey guys, do you have any idea what this might do to the mental state of a
frustrated programmer?? My experience has always been that the pressure applied
to a key is directly proportional to the level of frustration of the typer
(sp?). This means that a highly stressed individual could very quickly
accelerate to a state of total insanity as his typing went from plain to italic
to bold to bold-italic, etc. :-)

Of course, then again, I never seem to pound on my mac keyboard the way I do on
my UNIX terminal at work. Hmmm.....

--
Jeff Wiseman:	....uunet!tellab5!wiseman OR wiseman@TELLABS.COM