[rec.music.synth] Looking for advice: sampling/synthesis boards for IBM-PCs

busko@stsci.EDU (Ivo Busko) (11/22/89)

I'm looking for "cheap" IBM-PC add-on boards capable of either (i)
synthesizing sounds from an internal generator device, or (ii) from
digital samples.  I'm aware of the Ad-Lib system (type i) and the Covox
Sound Master (type ii).

Anyone out there has knowledge of other similar devices in the same
price range (< US$200) ? What about sound quality ? Since these
devices have at most 8-bit resolution in amplitude, what can I
expect from pluging their output on my stereo home system ?

Any advice will be appreciated.

Ivo Busko

met@fenicks.UUCP (MaryEllen Travers) (01/05/90)

>From: busko@stsci.EDU (Ivo Busko)

>I'm looking for "cheap" IBM-PC add-on boards capable of either (i)
>synthesizing sounds from an internal generator device, or (ii) from
>digital samples.  I'm aware of the Ad-Lib system (type i) and the Covox
>Sound Master (type ii).

>Anyone out there has knowledge of other similar devices in the same
>price range (< US$200) ? What about sound quality ? Since these
>devices have at most 8-bit resolution in amplitude, what can I
>expect from plugging their output on my stereo home system ?

>Any advice will be appreciated.

>Ivo Busko

There is an add-on board for the IBM PC XT/AT and compatibles that does
both (i) and (ii). It is called the Audio F/X card and is made by a company
in Rochester N.Y called FORTE. The address is:

   FORTE
   72 Karenlee Drive
   Rochester, N.Y. 14618
   (716) 427-8595

Here is a synopsis of the Audio F/X capabilities.

- Digital recording & playback under DMA control (or polled if you want)
- Sampling rates from 30 Hz to 80Khz (software control)
- Built in stereo sound synthesizers. (6 voices)
- On board amplifiers for direct cabling to speakers. (or stereo)
- Complete software control of all sound parameters.
   - volume,balance,attack,decay,sustain,release,filters,resonance,freq,
     waveform, pulse width etc
- On-board Z-80 processor & OS to remove burden of generating synthesized
  sound from the PC.
- Unlimited recording & playback time (limited only by storage media size)

- Software that is included:
   SONATA - Full featured music editor.
     NOTE:
        - Can take its input from either a mouse/keyboard or an option
          MIDI. (Roland MPU 401 compatible). Audio F/X does NOT have
          a MIDI interface.

   SOUND EDITOR - Digital sound editor. Record/Cut/Paste sampled recordings.
                - Also can do echo,reverb etc.

   SYNCOM  - Utility to play and record files and 'tweak' sound parameters
              interactively. Will also let you 'compile' sounds into a file
              that can be sent to the card by an application that wants to
              make a sound at a particular time (i.e. games etc)

   SYNTALK - TSR used by all applications to communicate with the card.

- Optional software available:
   DJFX - digital reel-to-reel
   Spelling Voice - Teach spelling
   Annotator - Voice comment text

Comments:
   The Audio F/X recording quality is far superior to the Covox products.
The card can be set up to filter the playback and add resonance to increase
the quality to recordings mad under less than perfect conditions. The variable
record/playback rates allow for tailoring the quality you want to the amount
of storage you can spare. It is an 8 bit sampler, but I think you would be
hard-pressed to tell the difference between it and a 16 bit sampler. The DMA
control allows you to play digital files in background with very little effect
on your system.

   The Audio F/X is superior to the Ad-Lib in both quality and flexibility.
Since the burden of sound generation is taken off the PC, many sounds can be
made, not just music. For instance, frequency sweeps, volume sweeps and balance
sweeps can be done without PC overhead. (Also many more than can be mentioned
here) Also, SONATA comes with it. Nothing extra to buy.

It is a little more expensive than the others (@$300), but is a bargain when
you consider the quality of sound , number of features, and amount of software
that comes with it.

(P.S. This is being posted for me by a friend. Please send any e-mail

Mike Travers