[rec.music.synth] Need RS232 <=> MIDI converter?

brsmith@umn-cs.CS.UMN.EDU (Brian R. Smith) (01/11/90)

I'm trying to get a SparcStation 1 to speak MIDI, as part of a class
project for a "Computer Music" course.  I'm not likely to be able
to develop anything for Sun's internal bus, so the serial ports
are my only hope.

Anyone know of a readily available RS232<==>MIDI black box, or of a
cookbook procedure on how to build one?  I've done several hours of
research in the U of MN's library, but I haven't been able to find any
magazine articles on interfacing MIDI with anything other than a PC or
home computer of some form.  (There's half a dozen ways to do it with
a C64 or a BBC Micro, for all the good that does me...)

Any help or references would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Brian

mayer@hplabsz.HPL.HP.COM (Niels Mayer) (01/13/90)

In article <18129@umn-cs.CS.UMN.EDU> brsmith@umn-cs.CS.UMN.EDU (Brian R. Smith) writes:
>I'm trying to get a SparcStation 1 to speak MIDI, as part of a class
>project for a "Computer Music" course.  I'm not likely to be able
>to develop anything for Sun's internal bus, so the serial ports
>are my only hope.

I'm interested in this too, although I want to hook it up to my
HP9000s370 (33Mhz 68030) running HPUX...

Can serial lines support midi rates?

Alternately, I might just go ahead and build the interface hardware
for the internal bus and write a device driver. Anybody have any
references for "build your own" midi-interfaces? (schematics for the
ibm pc will do, i can translate...).

-- Niels "WINTERP + MIDI + DATAGLOVE == HEAVEN" Mayer.

barons@ORC.Olivetti.Com (Barry Arons) (01/16/90)

I have about 10 Hinton MIDIC boxes that we are using from Sun 3/60's
running SunOS and Olivetti M380's (intel 386) running Mach.  We are
using them to control some Yamaha Mixers and Akai audio crossbar
switches.   I posted a detailed message to comp.music many months ago,
but I cannot seem to find a copy to re-post.  In general the boxes are
quite good, and we have not had any problesm with them.  After receiving
the MIDICs, I wrote a device interface to the box and a simple
interactive X Window application to control the mixers in a day.

We ordered them direct from England, and had them Fedexed to us.  They
got hung in customs for an extra while while we scrambled to fill out
paper work saying that the FCC didn't need to worry about emissions.

Note, also, that it *is* possible to MIDI direct from a Sparcstation.
There is apparently an unused high precision timer that can be poked to
tick at the correct MIDI rate using a standard serial port.   It was
demoed at a show a while ago.  I have a one page description of the
demos and it says that "Sun intends to make the driver available to
interested parties through users groups".

Barry Arons                      phone:    +1 415-496-6264
Olivetti Research California     fax:      +1 415-496-6219
2882 Sand Hill Road, Suite 210   internet: arons@orc.olivetti.com
Menlo Park, CA 94025             uucp:     {sri-unix|oliveb}!orc!arons