[rec.music.synth] References on Sound Effect Waveforms/Spectrums?

doug@xdos.UUCP (Doug Merritt) (02/03/90)

In article <632@xdos.UUCP> doug@xdos.UUCP (Doug Merritt) writes:
>I'm interested in finding a discussion of the waveforms/spectral signatures
>of various different kinds of sound effects, similar to the usual

Ok, I got lots of interest in summarizing what I found out, so here it
is: everyone wants such a thing, but no one knows of such a thing. So
I've started writing some analysis software (I'm up to *here* in
Digital Signal Processing books).

I'm going to start by comparing the spectral signatures of the small
number of samples I've already got, and categorizing them by their
psychoacoustics as interpreted by my not-very-trained ear. I'm also
going to do some automatic pattern matching to help find similarities
that my ear and eye might miss (envelopes, spectral widths & ratios,
purity/noise content, whatever else comes to mind).

So, two more questions: does anyone know of reference material on
any existing systems for doing the classification, or should I make
up my own?

And: I've never used synthesizers, but I know that somewhere out there
are a huge number of samples. Can anyone give me any leads on how
to get various samples (hopefully light on the acoustic instrument
category), in the public domain to keep it legal, on some kind of
common computer media? I could handle diskettes for IBM PC's, Mac's,
Amiga's, 9 track tape or Sun cartridge tape. But I would not know
what to do with some special purpose media designed only to work with
a synthesizer. Ideas?

I'm probably going to do a pamphlet or even a sourcebook on what I eventually
come up with, since there seems to be a lot of interest.

Thanks,
	Doug
--
Doug Merritt		{pyramid,apple}!xdos!doug
Member, Crusaders for a Better Tomorrow		Professional Wildeyed Visionary