[rec.music.synth] Roland D-110 bug/upgrade

kennyz@pawl.rpi.edu (Kenny Zalewski) (02/28/90)

Thanks for the info on determining what version of the OS my D-110 is
currently running.  I found out that my version is 1.06, and the
date is April 5, 1988.  Now, does anyone know what the most recent
version is, and how I can get a hold of it?  I would like to upgrade,
considering I have found a MAJOR bug, which I hope was ironed out in
later versions.  Here's a brief description:

I set out to make a split on the D110.  I activated the first 2 parts,
and turned all the rest off.  Both parts were set to the same MIDI
channel (to achieve the keyboard split).  The first part contained a
heavy bass sound (i37 -- Basssynth), and the second was a heavy synth
sound (b16 -- Vibestring).  The bass part was mapped onto the lower
half of the keyboard, the treble part on the upper half.

Now, when I started playing with this split, I realized that as I played
quick, funky, single bass notes with 3-note chords on the top part, the
bass notes would sometimes get cut off.  I checked the partial reserve,
and finally I decided to allocate all 32 partials to the bass sound.  It
still got cut off.  I lowered the volume on the top part, so that all I
could hear were the bass notes.  Whenver I played those chords on the top
part, the bass would always get cut off.  I brought this problem to a
local music dealer.  They opened up another D-110, we created the split
on it, and there was the same problem!  Those of you with D-110's, give
this a try...  send me E-mail or post here with your results.  I'd like to
know what is going on, and how to correct it (if Roland has corrected it
in a new ROM version).  Questions or comments, E-mail to me.  Thanks.

                                                --- Kenny Z.
--
Kenny Zalewski
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, BARH B 107, Troy, NY, 12180-3590

viking@silver.ucs.indiana.edu (Jon W. Backstrom) (02/28/90)

In article 12286 kennyz@pawl.rpi.edu (Kenny Zalewski) writes:
>Thanks for the info on determining what version of the OS my D-110 is
>currently running.  I found out that my version is 1.06, and the
>date is April 5, 1988.  Now, does anyone know what the most recent
>version is, and how I can get a hold of it?

The current ROM for the D-110 is version 1.10.  My local Roland dealer
upgraded me free of charge for the asking.  Gee...sometimes is *does*
pay to buy locally!  :-)

Talking with the Roland service reps, I was told that this newer ROM
makes patch editing and SYSEX dumps to and from a computer much more
reliable.

Hope this helps!

 Jon W. Backstrom                 "Yah sure...we gonna have fun, you bet!"
 Institute for Digital Arts
 P.O. Box 176                     Internet: viking@silver.ucs.indiana.edu
 Bloomington, IN  47402-0176      UUCP: {ames,rutgers,att}!iuvax!silver!viking

nick@lfcs.ed.ac.uk (Nick Rothwell) (03/01/90)

In article <37364@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu>, viking@silver (Jon W. Backstrom) writes:
>The current ROM for the D-110 is version 1.10.
>
>Talking with the Roland service reps, I was told that this newer ROM
>makes patch editing and SYSEX dumps to and from a computer much more
>reliable.

I believe I have 1.10; I shall check tonite, if I can remember the
control-alt-meta-cokebottle-combo of buttons to press. My D-110
happily accepts patch editing and load/dump stuff without any
problems. I have had occasional hiccoughs from it, but nothing
serious. I shall also try out the keyboard split thing as well.

> Jon W. Backstrom                 "Yah sure...we gonna have fun, you bet!"

		Nick.
--
Nick Rothwell,	Laboratory for Foundations of Computer Science, Edinburgh.
		nick@lfcs.ed.ac.uk    <Atlantic Ocean>!mcvax!ukc!lfcs!nick