[rec.music.synth] Workshop on Description/Algorithmic composition?

mo@messy.bellcore.com (Michael O'Dell) (07/25/90)

just musing....

I was wondering what the interest level might be in a workshop
where folks interested in music description/music programming/
algorithmic synthesis could get together and trade ideas,
talk about their work with folks thinking about the same things?
The attendence would be small (probalby << 100) and it would
be held in some pleasant (or at least interesting) location
where people could interact both in a group and individually.

So folks, what say you? Any interest out there?

	-Mike

ctdonath@rodan.acs.syr.edu (Carl T. Donath) (07/26/90)

Sounds interesting! Just need to figure out where it should be
(transportation could be expensive for some attendees), when, and
what speakers to have. Anyone know of any "experts" in the field?

- Carl

rose@bullwinkle.crd.ge.com (Michael Rose) (07/26/90)

In article <4027@rodan.acs.syr.edu> ctdonath@rodan.acs.syr.edu (Carl T. Donath) writes:

>Sounds interesting! Just need to figure out where it should be
>(transportation could be expensive for some attendees), when, and
>what speakers to have. Anyone know of any "experts" in the field?

   Elliot Sharp has done some pretty wild stuff in this domain.  Two
recordings of this work are available (on SST Records):

  1) Monster Curve
  2) Tesselation Row (compositions performed by the Soldier String 4tet)

   Both of these contain compositions based on fractals.  I'm sure he
would speak about what he's done.

--
Mike Rose
Schenectady, NY