[rec.music.synth] cmusic compiler, where?

am42+@andrew.cmu.edu (Alexander Paul Morris) (11/09/90)

I just got E.R. Moore's book, Elements of Computer Music, and it talks about
a language (compiler) called cmusic.  The problem is, it doesn't seem to
mention (unless I missed it) anything about where to get a copy of it.
If anyone knows where or how to get a copy of cmusic, PLEASE tell me!
Thanks a lot!

    Alexander Morris                  "People die, things change...
    Carnegie Mellon                                 It's sad."

cpenrose@sdcc13.ucsd.edu (Christopher Penrose) (11/10/90)

In article <UbCSQN_00UhWE_tFpY@andrew.cmu.edu> am42+@andrew.cmu.edu (Alexander Paul Morris) writes:
>I just got E.R. Moore's book, Elements of Computer Music, and it talks about
>a language (compiler) called cmusic.  The problem is, it doesn't seem to
>mention (unless I missed it) anything about where to get a copy of it.
>If anyone knows where or how to get a copy of cmusic, PLEASE tell me!
>Thanks a lot!
>
>    Alexander Morris                  "People die, things change...
>    Carnegie Mellon                                 It's sad."

You can get it from CME (Center for Music Experiment) at UC San Diego.
Here is Dick's e-mail address:

frm@carl.ucsd.edu
from@plexus.ucsd.edu

cmusic is part of the CARL software distribution which costs $250 and requires
that you sign a non-disclosure agreement.  I bought the distribution but I
never seem to use cmusic.  I use csound (which is free) instead.
cmusic has some really useful function generators which I use quite often.
There are other useful programs in the distribution also.  It is also
interesting to point out that the $250 fee in only a "distribution" fee.
The software is technically free.  They still want your money though.

Christopher Penrose
jesus!penrose