[rec.music.synth] Sequencing/Composition programs-IBM-PC

asaxon@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (Allan Saxon) (01/13/91)

I posted a question a while ago about FINALE and Cakewalk but there were no
responces. Has anyone used FINALE 2.0? (It just arrived now in the stores
last week).
I'm looking for a program that can offer easy composition in standard
notation with printing capabilities (prefferably laser-postscript) and can
also handle input from a keyboard (sequencing) or MIDI instrument.
I have the MQX-PC MIDI interface and a Roland D-10 keyboard
I'm looking at
	FINALE-PC v2.0
	Cakewalk Pro v4.0
	Music Printer Plus v?

any other ones I should be looking at?
I want to be able to compose using both keyboards (computer and music) at
the same time so getting two programs is not as useful.

any remarks, help  will be appreciated

reply to asaxon@jarthur.claremont.edu
or post in this news group
	Thanks
Allan

persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all pregress
depends on the unreasonable man." - on the wall of my optomitrist

ttl@aura.cs.wisc.edu (Tony Laundrie) (01/15/91)

In article <10310@jarthur.Claremont.EDU> asaxon@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (Allan Saxon) writes:
>I'm looking for a program that can offer easy composition in standard
>notation with printing capabilities (prefferably laser-postscript) and can
>also handle input from a keyboard (sequencing) or MIDI instrument.

I have Music Printer Plus 3.2 and like it.  You can enter music in normal
notation, compile it, and generate MIDI sequences.  Music can be entered in
real-time from a keyboard or (if you have little piano ability) with a mouse.
It costs about $480.  The major bummer with it is that it is copy-protected.

I also have Laser Music Processor.  It can be used to enter and print music,
but has limited MIDI output capability.  It can read and score standard
MIDI input, however.  I bought it for $80.  I'll sell it for $50.  Write for
details.
						ttl@cs.wisc.edu