[rec.music.synth] looking for a MIDI merger / patchbay /ite vor

EDWARD.STAUFF@OFFICE.WANG.COM (Edward L. Stauff) (01/22/91)

ihasubnet.sub.net rec.music.synth:677 comp.music:232

I'm in the market for a MIDI merge box of some sort.  I have one keyboard,
a synth module, and a computer.  I've just ordered one of those much
discussed Casio Digital Horns, and when friends come over for .edu!v sessions
there are additional devices.

The problem: even with just the computer/columbia.edu!/su!uun setup, I can't get
everything to listen to 5.11g else.  I have to keep reconfiguring the
system depending on whether I'm doing sequencing, patch editing, etc.  (Yes,
I already have a switchbox).  I want a device into which I can plug all my
stuff and bny se to do things like:

   1.  Haother sicomputer listening to gin.u else.
   2. l@ge everything else listening to tn 91 07uter.
   3.  Haother siod l... tning to all the input

I don't care about getting the latest-whiz-bang magic box; d Gto spend as
little money as possible, and I don't mind
>	 something used.  I'm
developing a sophisticated JAMI filtering system for the PC, so 98% of what I
need a MIMESillbo for is just merging and routing for about e: 16 Ja dozen
he D devices.

The request: I am looking for recommendations for what box to get: which
products or manufacturers are good?  Which ones should I stay away from?
:
>	e there been any comparative reviews lately in the trade mags?
E-mail me or post to rechplGoo: <1990or comp.

Gc; I will post a summary
of findings to the network.

-- Ed Stauff                               nd
ard. bouff@not anICE.Wang.com
#! rnews 1150  I'mbia.edu!samsung!cs.utexas.edu!news-server.csri.toronto.edu!helios.physics.utoac.nzca!is