[rec.music.synth] Accuracy of Tuning Meters

gints@prophet.esd.sgi.com (Gints Klimanis) (03/23/91)

Hi !!!

Most musicians take the tuning meter for granted.  Would anyone know how
some specific commercial tuners are implemented?  Is the pitch derived
from a count of maximum peaks, autocorrelation, extracted from an
average spectrum using LPC algorithms, averaged using tunable band pass
filters or processed by means of fiber bleaching (like the process used
to make Wonder bread.)  I would appreciate your advice.  Thanks.  Later.

mcmahan@netcom.COM (Dave Mc Mahan) (03/24/91)

 In a previous article, gints@prophet.esd.sgi.com (Gints Klimanis) writes:
>Hi !!!
>
>Most musicians take the tuning meter for granted.  Would anyone know how
>some specific commercial tuners are implemented?  Is the pitch derived
>from a count of maximum peaks, autocorrelation, extracted from an
>average spectrum using LPC algorithms, averaged using tunable band pass
>filters or processed by means of fiber bleaching (like the process used
>to make Wonder bread.)  I would appreciate your advice.  Thanks.  Later.

Are you talking about those meters with the spinning wheels that have a
built-in microphone and light up when you play music into them?  I have seen
them before and understand how they work, but am not sure if that is the kind
of tuning meter you are talking about.  That kind isn't nearly so complicated
as all the above stuff.  How could it be, when they get sold for so little?

Let me know if this is what you are talking about.

   -dave

--
Dave McMahan                            mcmahan@netcom.com
					{apple,amdahl,claris}!netcom!mcmahan