[rec.music.synth] FINALE Postscript files

dave@jato.jpl.nasa.gov (Dave Hayes) (03/15/91)

Does anyone out there know how to generate FINALE postscript files
that can be printed on any PostScript printer...even if that printer
is connected to a UNIX machine?

Thanks in advance for any help.
--
------
Dave Hayes -  dave@elxr.jpl.nasa.gov - ames!elroy!dxh

dave@jato.jpl.nasa.gov (Dave Hayes) (03/16/91)

dave@jato.jpl.nasa.gov (Dave Hayes) writes:

>Does anyone out there know how to generate FINALE postscript files
>that can be printed on any PostScript printer...even if that printer
>is connected to a UNIX machine?

The answer is (now that I've figured it out)...

1) Configure your Windows 3.0 printer to output PostScript to a FILE:

2) Print normally from Finale

3) Upload the .PS file BINARY to the Unix system. DO NOT USE ASCII MODE.
You can accomplish this if a PC you have has FTP or if you can upload
via ZMODEM. You must preserve the CONTROL CHARACTERS in the original
.PS file.

4) You may need to edit the file on the UNIX system to remove the
^D that is at the beginning of the .PS file.

5) lpr away!

Thanks to all who responded for their insight and suggestions.

--
------
Dave Hayes -  dave@elxr.jpl.nasa.gov - ames!elroy!dxh
Jet Propulsion Lab - M/S 602-145                  Pasadena CA, 91109

mbk@world.std.com (Michael B Klein) (03/26/91)

What's wrong with Finale's "Compile Postscript Listing" option?  I use
that all the time for remote printing, and I never have a problem.
It's much "cleaner" than using the Windows PS driver, because Finale's
internal Postscript logic is far better than Microsoft's (or whoever
wrote the MS PS driver).

Michael