[rec.music.synth] Tascam 238 8-track cassette

bierman@davidsys.com (04/05/91)

Does anyone out there have any expereince using the Tascam 238
8-track cassette recorder?  I'm thinking of buying one, and
I can't find any reviews on it...

I'd be interested in hearing about any 8-track deck in the
"under $2000" class.

thanks,

--a;
bierman@davidsys.com

engineer@buhub.bradley.edu (Aslan) (04/06/91)

bierman@davidsys.com writes:

>Does anyone out there have any expereince using the Tascam 238
>8-track cassette recorder?  I'm thinking of buying one, and
>I can't find any reviews on it...

I've heard that putting anything more on a standard cassette than
four tracks isn't good.....It leaves too little space between tracks,
doesn't allow enough space for each tracks info, and you might
experience "bleeding" between tracks....You might want to think about
reel or DAT if you're going for the 8-track.....

:-)
tim
--
engineer@buhub.bradley.edu
am948@cleveland.freenet.edu

bierman@davidsys.com (04/07/91)

In article <1991Apr6.065301.10704@bradley.bradley.edu>, engineer@buhub.bradley.edu (Aslan) writes:
> bierman@davidsys.com writes:
>

>>Does anyone out there have any experience using the Tascam 238
>>8-track cassette recorder?  I'm thinking of buying one, and
>>I can't find any reviews on it...
>
> I've heard that putting anything more on a standard cassette than
> four tracks isn't good.....It leaves too little space between tracks,
> doesn't allow enough space for each tracks info, and you might
> experience "bleeding" between tracks....You might want to think about
> reel or DAT if you're going for the 8-track.....
>
> :-)
> tim

I've just finished reading all the responses I received on the Tascam 238,
(thanks to everyone who replied!) and crosstalk was not a major concern.
( > 70 dB when the DBX is used). I think the 238 uses a technique called
"Skewed Azimuth Recording" (?) to improve channel separation,
which requires that the heads be in very good alignment at all times.

Summary of replies:
There was some question as to how well the 238 stayed in alignment,
and how easy it was to align yourself (you need a dual-trace
scope, etc.), but most people loved the 238 they bought. It seems
to work real well with the Alesis 1622 mixer (4 replies) and as part
of the Tascam 688 console (same deck).

Major pluses:
    * clean sound
    * no crosstalk
    * cheap tape ($5 cassette vs. about $35 for 1/2" tape)
    * capable of being controlled by time-code generator (Midi-izer)
    * having 4 more tracks is better than 'twice as good'
      (than a 4 track deck). The extra tracks allow you to give
       more instruments post-processing, and control mix-downs better.
      (Using dual 24-tracks would have the same effect :-)  )

But I still have a couple of questions before being totally sold.
(I'm almost sold.)

1) How well do tapes recorded on one deck play back on a different one?

2) Can the deck be controlled by a management module/software OTHER
   than the Tascam Midi-izer (i.e. does Tascam publish the protocol) ?

I have an Alesis 1622, and will probably buy one of these decks, for
the same reason I bought the mixer--I can't justify (or afford)
spending $3000 - $5000 for a pro deck. I'm putting together a
portable 8-track studio in a shock-mounted rack, and I don't
even have room for a reel-to-reel. (I think the 238 is 4U)
I want the deck in the same rack as the mixer and the patchbays.

So there's just one last question...

Where's a good place to buy one of these (music store, catalog,etc.) ?

thanks for all your help,

--andy;
bierman@davidsys.com

tcorbitt@xenon.unm.edu (Thomas Corbitt) (04/08/91)

In article <1991Apr6.065301.10704@bradley.bradley.edu> engineer@buhub.bradley.edu (Aslan) writes:
bierman@davidsys.com writes:

>Does anyone out there have any expereince using the Tascam 238
>8-track cassette recorder?  I'm thinking of buying one, and
>I can't find any reviews on it...
>
>I'd be interested in hearing about any 8-track deck in the
>"under $2000" class.

I've no experience with any multi-tracks other than the Porta-One by
Tascam, but I have some mail order sources for several 8-tracks under
$2000, including Tascam and Fostex.

E-mail me for prices, addresses or other info.

-------
Tom Corbitt
Institute For Creative Chemists
"...the dream is over--or has it just begun?" -- Queensryche

jimh@welch.jhu.edu (Jim Hoffman) (04/08/91)

In article <11925@davidsys.com> bierman@davidsys.com writes:

>Does anyone out there have any expereince using the Tascam 238
>8-track cassette recorder?  I'm thinking of buying one, and
>I can't find any reviews on it...
>
>I'd be interested in hearing about any 8-track deck in the
>"under $2000" class.

I have read some reviews about 8-track decks and was told by some
friends that is cassette is too thin to handle 8-tracks.  But I
did stumple upon this really nice 6-track cassette for $1,100.  It has
two imputs on each channel, so in theory, you have 12 tracks.  Also
has 4 aux loops and a mixer for stereo ouput.  I believe the brand name
is Vastex.  I have had only one night with it due to "other" things, but
it is a great improvement over my Tascam 4-track.

If you are interest, I'll post more info. about it tommorrow!

Jim

kudla@rpi.edu (Robert J. Kudla) (04/09/91)

In article <1991Apr6.065301.10704@bradley.bradley.edu> engineer@buhub.bradley.edu (Aslan) writes:

   experience "bleeding" between tracks....You might want to think about
   reel or DAT if you're going for the 8-track.....

Someone wanna tell me where I can get a digital 8-track that uses DATs
for under $2K?  :)

Robert Jude Kudla <kudla@rpi.edu>

No more bars!  No more cages!  Just rollerskating, disco music, and
the occasional light show....

mrk@gvgspd.GVG.TEK.COM (Michael R. Kesti) (04/10/91)

In article <1991Apr8.145831.25954@welch.jhu.edu> jimh@welchlab.welch.jhu.edu (Jim Hoffman) writes:

>I have read some reviews about 8-track decks and was told by some
>friends that is cassette is too thin to handle 8-tracks.

Boy, am I ever glad Tascam never read those reviews.  If they had, I
suppose my 238 wouldn't work nearly as well!  ;-)

>                                                          But I
>did stumple upon this really nice 6-track cassette for $1,100.  It has
>two imputs on each channel, so in theory, you have 12 tracks.

BZZZZT!  WRONG.  Tracks does not equal inputs, nor vice versa.  Those
two inputs are mixed prior to being recorded, and are therefore not
available for SEPARATE remix.  This means it is, in both theory and
practice, a six track tape deck.

Michael Kesti  Grass Valley Group, Inc. | "And like, one and one don't make
    mrk@gvgspd.GVG.TEK.COM              |  two, one and one make one."
    !tektronix!gvgpsa!gvgspd!mrk        |         - The Who, Bargain

zerobeat@intacc.uucp (Ferenc Szabo) (04/11/91)

In article <1991Apr6.065301.10704@bradley.bradley.edu> engineer@buhub.bradley.edu (Aslan)  writes:

>bierman@davidsys.com writes:
>

>>Does anyone out there have any expereince using the Tascam 238
>>8-track cassette recorder?  I'm thinking of buying one, and
>>I can't find any reviews on it...
>
>I've heard that putting anything more on a standard cassette than
>four tracks isn't good.....It leaves too little space between tracks,
>doesn't allow enough space for each tracks info, and you might
>experience "bleeding" between tracks....You might want to think about
>reel or DAT if you're going for the 8-track.....
>
>:-)
>tim
>--
>engineer@buhub.bradley.edu
>am948@cleveland.freenet.edu
><><
Uh, whaddaya mean DAT 8 track.  DAT is only a stereo format (world standard)
but if you meant digital audio tape in the generic sense of the word, Yamaha
and Akai make a *relatively* inexpenxive 8 and 12 (respectively) track
recorder using digital technology. But you could buy 10 Tascam 8track cassette
decks for the same money.
I've heard the Tascam 8track and it sounded pretty darn good considering there
is twice as much info as 4track.  It sounded about as good as the original
Tascam 144 4track portastudio that came out in 1980 (?).  But then again the
brand new Tascam 4track cassette machine sounds way  better.  But they all
pale in comparison to the sound of open reel.  Not only is the tape going 2 or
4 times faster, but the track width is twice as wide (quarter inch 8track open
reel).

If you aren't too concerned with good sound quality then I would very much
recommend the Tascam 8track (assuming you really need 8 tracks and not 4).
The tapes are way cheaper and somewhat easier to use. On cassette the drums
will suffer the most, also the bass.  If you are using MIDI gear live to sync
and only recording vocals and the odd acoustic sound or micing a guitar amp,
then the cassette 8track would be a wise choice if the money difference was a
big deal.

         ferenc

Nah, save up $200,000.00 and get a Mitsiubishi 32 track digital recorder.

ken@opusc.csd.scarolina.edu (Ken Sallenger) (04/12/91)

Stay tuned:  according to NAMM reports, Alesis is speaking of
putting out a digital 8-track using super-VHS videocassettes
this year.  Rumored price is $4K.

--
     Ken Sallenger / ken@bigbird.csd.scarolina.edu / +1 803 777-6551
     1244 Blossom ST / Columbia, SC 29208          /   home 790-1092