[rec.music.synth] Sampler

sk1y+@andrew.cmu.edu (Shuntaro Kawakami) (04/06/91)

Does anyone know what the cheaperest sampler is?  If you do, what is the price?

zerobeat@intacc.uucp (Ferenc Szabo) (04/10/91)

In article <UbzAmHu00UhBE3b40I@andrew.cmu.edu> sk1y+@andrew.cmu.edu (Shuntaro Kawakami)  writes:

>Does anyone know what the cheaperest sampler is?  If you do, what is the price?
The cheapest sampler is the Casio SK-1 for maybe $200. Radio Shack also sells
virtually the same machine but with their name on it.  Maybe the American
price is a lot lower.  This sampler is very,very limited and unless you really
like the novelty of that 'piece of sh@@' sound (it has it's place for sure)
you might want something a bit more expensive but way more versatile and
better sounding.
The Mirage sampler came can be had for probabl
y $600 at the most and is way more versatile.  However, it pales in comparison
to samplers like the Roland S50,S330, Akai S900,S950 or even Yamaha and Korg's
samplers (# unknown, but they only make 1).  These machines can be had for
$900 probably and are way, way better than the Mirage.

Contrast this with the Emulator 1.  It came out in 1982 for $8,000.  The
Mirage even at the original 1986 price of $2000? was in many ways a better
machine.

      ferenc

knid%midiline.uucp@elroy.jpl.nasa.gov (Vermicious Knid) (04/11/91)

You might also check out used 12-bit samplers, such as the Akai S612, the
Mirage (as previously mentioned), the S-10 and the S-50.  I see these for
sale all the time (I also have an Akai S612) for around $350-600.

ah2e+@andrew.cmu.edu (Aaron Noel Hughes) (04/11/91)

>Contrast this with the Emulator 1.  It came out in 1982 for $8,000.  The
>Mirage even at the original 1986 price of $2000? was in many ways a >better
>machine.

>      ferenc

Let's not forget here that there is a *4* year technology difference
between the two machines.  Just like comparing the Mirage to almost any
sampler today makes the Mirage look like a toy.

=>B^)

Aaron

lance@motcsd.csd.mot.com (lance.norskog) (04/12/91)

In article <UbzAmHu00UhBE3b40I@andrew.cmu.edu> sk1y+@andrew.cmu.edu (Shuntaro Kawakami)  writes:

>Does anyone know what the cheaperest sampler is?  If you do, what is the price?

Meridian Data in San Jose (USA: 408-555-1212 for phone # information)
sells something called the SoundByte.

This is a $499 sound sampler that talks to a PC via a parallel port.
I can't remember if it's 12- or 16-bit sound.  So, if you already have
a computer rig and a large hard disk, this might be a nice sampling
module for your system.  I don't know if it samples in real-time.
It also plays back.  Again, I don't know if it's real-time.  It has
some sort of DSP chip on-board, but I don't know if you can download
your own software.

Lance Norskog

copley-devon@cs.yale.edu (Devon M. Copley) (04/15/91)

Unfortunately, the Akai S-612, and the Roland S-10 both use those
ABYSMAL 2.8 inch "Quick Disks";  I would strongly recommend against
buying into that awful non-standard format.  It takes FOUR of the
little suckers just to load the S-10's tiny memory!  Almost makes
you wish for a cassette interface...

And the Mirage is 8-bit, not 12, as is (I believe) the S-612.

Personally I wouldn't pay more than $250 for an S-612; they're
not good for much more than sound effects.

Devon

Devon M. Copley			P.O. Box 435 Yale Station
copley-devon@cs.yale.edu	New Haven, CT  06520
"The only A that matters is the one between the Y and the L."