[rec.music.synth] Cubase vs. Omega for ST???

glennd@athena.arc.nasa.gov (Glenn Deardorff - GDP) (04/19/91)

I'm on the verge of getting a new sequencer for my Atari ST,
and am trying to decide between Cubase and Dr. T's Omega.  I
know that Cubase is supposed to be the sequencer to end all
sequencers, but on the other hand, I'm presently using Dr.
T's X-oR (as well as their VZ-Rider), so it only makes sense
to stick with Dr. T's, if I want to multitask successfully
between X-oR and the sequencer, not to mention the fact
that Omega is a high-end sequencer in itself (there are
plenty who swear by it).

I've pretty much researched the features of each.  At this
point, I need to know if there are Cubase users who
routinely and successfully use it with M-ROS for non-M-ROS
applications (especially X-oR).  Or if they're happy with
the patch editing capabilities supplied with the Satellite
desk accessory.  Or also, for those "in the know", if there
are things that Omega can do better than Cubase (for
instance, the ability to display up to 3 tracks of note and
controller data at once).  I've heard/read that getting
M-ROS to work successfully is hard, and I've had enough
problems getting incompatible programs to run together that
this is definitely an area of concern for me.

Thanks in advance for any replies, which can be made via
personal E-mail, or as a followup to this post.

					  	- Glenn

peter%midiline.uucp@elroy.jpl.nasa.gov (Xorcist) (04/20/91)

X-OR is NOT a multitasking tool with OMEGA as is CUBASE's MIDI MANAGER.

Although, OMEGA, I feel, is better then CUBASE. I've used both and
CUBASE is a lot buggier then OMEGA and very sluggish. It's like
working in jello. OMEGA is fast and direct.
 The only way to utilize XOR and OMEGA is to have 2 ATARI's. I'm going to
try that soon.
 PS

whitcomb@aurs01.UUCP (Jonathan Whitcomb) (04/22/91)

In article <qkuo11w164w@midiline> peter%midiline.uucp@elroy.jpl.nasa.gov (Xorcist) writes:
>X-OR is NOT a multitasking tool with OMEGA as is CUBASE's MIDI MANAGER.

Well, X-or is not a multitasking tool in itself, but it does run in KCS
Omega's Multi Program Environment (MPE), which loads several programs into
memory and lets you switch amoung them without re-loading (effectively
a multitasking environment).  In addition, MPE allows several of Dr.T's
programs to share common data.  For instance, you can play KCS Omega
sequences from within X-or.  The song editor in Omega will automatically
load X-or performances when a new song is loaded, which will save lots
of time.  You can only do this sort of thing within MPE...you will lose
all these capabilities if you go with CUBASE.

>Although, OMEGA, I feel, is better then CUBASE. I've used both and
>CUBASE is a lot buggier then OMEGA and very sluggish. It's like
>working in jello. OMEGA is fast and direct.

And I have yet to find a bug in KCS Omega.

> The only way to utilize XOR and OMEGA is to have 2 ATARI's. I'm going to
>try that soon.

Sorry, this is incorrect... although you will need at least two megs of
RAM to fit them both, you can most definately run them in one ST...I
can comfortably fit KCS, Tiger , the Song Editor and X-or in my
un-modified Mega ST2, with Hotwire! and Maxifile resident.  This is a
very powerful setup, and it's great to switch amoung all of the
programs with no waiting.  I will have to upgrade to 4 megs in order
to load T-Basic and Quickscore as well, though.

> PS

-Jonathan
Jonathan Whitcomb                    UUCP: <whitcomb%aurgate@mcnc.org>
Alcatel Network Systems, Raleigh, NC                    Delphi: JBWHIT