[rec.music.synth] reference materials on synths?

jjsmith@isis.cs.du.edu (Jonathan J. Smith) (05/19/91)

 I'm looking for any helpful reference materials out there on the
guts/internals of synths (electronics).  I'm a senior in EE and Cosc
and am wanting very much to get into a project that involves building
a reasonable synth from scratch.  I have the help of the faculty of
both departments and some from the music dept. also.  But I have not
found any really useful infomation/books/reference materials yet
here.. so ANY and all suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Please send replies to Udance@outlaw.uwyo.edu

thanks again for the help!
ps I'd like to get started on the project this summer (at least the
ground work, but thats dependant on the materials I can get my hands
on)

jimh@ultra.com (Jim Hurley) (05/21/91)

In <1991May18.200242.10711@mnemosyne.cs.du.edu> jjsmith@isis.cs.du.edu (Jonathan J. Smith) writes:

> I'm looking for any helpful reference materials out there on the
>guts/internals of synths (electronics).  I'm a senior in EE and Cosc
>and am wanting very much to get into a project that involves building
>a reasonable synth from scratch.  I have the help of the faculty of
>both departments and some from the music dept. also.  But I have not
>found any really useful infomation/books/reference materials yet
>here.. so ANY and all suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

>Please send replies to Udance@outlaw.uwyo.edu

>thanks again for the help!
>ps I'd like to get started on the project this summer (at least the
>ground work, but thats dependant on the materials I can get my hands
>on)

THE best source for this is Bernie Hutchins  'Builder's Guide and Preferred
Circuits Collection' 1980. From the ElectroNotes newsletters of
Bernie Hutchins. A good library may have these. They cover just about
every detail of analog synth design with special emphasis on
exponential tracking circuits that are good over 10 octaves.
--
Jim Hurley --> jimh@ultra.com  ...!ames!ultra!jimh  (408) 922-0100
Ultra Network Technologies / 101 Daggett Drive / San Jose CA 95134