[rec.music.synth] IMA Standard vs. UCSD files ?

tholome@portia.Stanford.EDU (Eric THOLOME) (06/01/91)

I've downloaded the files from ucsd.edu that seem to describe a preversion
of MIDI Standards. I was wondering what kind of difference there was between
those files and the actual Standard that the IMA provides.

In other words: are those files obsolete (because they have errors, or just
because the Standard has evolved a lot), or are they still pretty close to
the actual Standard ?

Has anybody compared the two sources ?

Thanks for any answer, by email or on the newsgroup.

Eric.

Eric THOLOME                                          tholome@isl.stanford.edu
                            Stanford University

mir@opera.chorus.fr (Adam Mirowski) (06/03/91)

In article <1991May31.195216.9407@leland.Stanford.EDU>, tholome@portia.Stanford.EDU (Eric THOLOME) writes:
%%
%% I've downloaded the files from ucsd.edu that seem to describe a preversion
%% of MIDI Standards. I was wondering what kind of difference there was between
%% those files and the actual Standard that the IMA provides.
%%
%% In other words: are those files obsolete (because they have errors, or just
%% because the Standard has evolved a lot), or are they still pretty close to
%% the actual Standard ?
%%
%% Has anybody compared the two sources ?

Eric: you have written and published a book about MIDI (and even proposed
to sell it to the people here). I would expect you to give answers... :-)

--
Adam Mirowski,  mir@chorus.fr (FRANCE),  tel. +33 (1) 30-64-82-00 or 74
Chorus systemes, 6, av.Gustave Eiffel, 78182 Saint-Quentin-en-Yvelines CEDEX

tholome@elaine18.Stanford.EDU (Eric THOLOME) (06/04/91)

In article <10923@chorus.fr> mir@opera.chorus.fr (Adam Mirowski) writes:
>In article <1991May31.195216.9407@leland.Stanford.EDU>, tholome@portia.Stanford.EDU (Eric THOLOME) writes:
>%%
>%% I've downloaded the files from ucsd.edu that seem to describe a preversion
>%% of MIDI Standards. I was wondering what kind of difference there was between
>%% those files and the actual Standard that the IMA provides.
>%%
>%% In other words: are those files obsolete (because they have errors, or just
>%% because the Standard has evolved a lot), or are they still pretty close to
>%% the actual Standard ?
>%%
>%% Has anybody compared the two sources ?
>
>Eric: you have written and published a book about MIDI (and even proposed
>to sell it to the people here). I would expect you to give answers... :-)
>
>--
>Adam Mirowski,  mir@chorus.fr (FRANCE),  tel. +33 (1) 30-64-82-00 or 74
>Chorus systemes, 6, av.Gustave Eiffel, 78182 Saint-Quentin-en-Yvelines CEDEX

I was so happy to see somebody was finally answering my question... No, no
answer... Just my old friend Adam teasing me... :-)

Well I guess I should be ashamed from not knowing the answer... :-)

Actually, I couldn't compare the two sources because the standard I have access
to is in France. And comparing those two things is rather boring. That's why
I thought maybe somebody had already done it for me, and found the differences
 :-) According to the number of answers I got, I assume nobody has really ever
done it... :-(

BTW, dear Adam, I've never tried to SELL my book to the people here, I've just
asked who would be interested in an English version, and I got many interesting
answers.

And finally, as far as I remember, you, Adam, do have this IMA Standard.
Right ? So maybe you could answer my question ??? :-)