[rec.arts.books] BBS lists

bobb@foobar.UUCP (Bob Boulanger) (10/15/87)

I am in the process of writing a book that serves as a
primer to PC telecommunications and as a compendium of
long-established BBSs.  I would appreciate any lists of BBSs
that you know about, or any suggestions you may have about
good BBSs that you have encountered.

Also, any horror stories that you have, or have heard about,
I would be interested in.

Please e-mail the information to me, as it might be a bit
much for the net.

Thank you,
Bob Boulanger
Intel OMO
Hillsboro, OR
ihf1:papyrus:6!aid

In article <139@htsrmx.foobar.UUCP> bobb@foobar.UUCP (Bob Boulanger) writes:
>I would appreciate any lists of BBSs
>
>Please e-mail the information to me, as it might be a bit
>much for the net.
>
>Bob Boulanger

(I've never seen mail bounce  so fast...)

The _Recycler_ carries free listings for BBS's.

--
Richard J. Sexton
INTERNET:     richard@gryphon.CTS.COM

"It's too dark to put the keys in my ignition..."

mentat@auscso.UUCP (Robert Dorsett) (10/18/87)

In article <1946@gryphon.CTS.COM> richard@gryphon.CTS.COM (Richard Sexton) writes:
>In article <139@htsrmx.foobar.UUCP> bobb@foobar.UUCP (Bob Boulanger) writes:
>>I would appreciate any lists of BBSs
>
>The _Recycler_ carries free listings for BBS's.

"Computer Shopper" also has an extensive listing.  If you call just about any
of the systems listed, you can get a good regional listing.

--
Robert Dorsett                  {allegra,seismo}!sally!ut-ngp!walt!mentat
University of Texas at Austin	{allegra, seismo}!sally!ut-ngp!auscso!mentat

nomad@orstcs.CS.ORST.EDU (Lee Vincent Damon) (10/19/87)

 My mail bounced too...

 I would recommend that the person compiling the list get ahold of the Fido
NodeList. It has about 2K entries now - from all over the world. There is
also a list called, I think, PAMS (or some such) that lists many BBSs -
presuming that it is still being updated it should be well over 3K entries.

 nomad
---------------------
LEE DAMON		FidoNet: 152/201 (The Castle) - (503) 757-8841
nomad@cs.orst.edu	Internet:  nomad@cs.orst.edu
			UUCP :  {hp-pcd,tektronix}!orstcs!nomad

greg@engr.uky.edu (William Henderson) (10/19/87)

There is a bbs in lexington, KY that has been given a high rating in a
national magazine.  This bbs is known as Adventureland and is one of the
largest collection of public domain software for the adventurer at heart
The number is 606-271-0558 and the sysop is named Doug Rogers who is a
Telecomunication professor at EKU he likes running a bbs and enjoy  so to speak
new users...   Have fun with this one it is a great system

patth@dasys1.UUCP (Patt Haring) (10/21/87)

Our mailer bounced the foobar address!
Try Ed Gelb's Database at 201-694-7425
  (300/1200/2400 baud, 24 hrs)
THis is a BBS - it also has a *worldwide* list of BBS
(it'll take you 3.5 hours to download everything at 300 baud)
indexed by country, region, state, city, etc.
Good Luck with your book!

--
Patt Haring                       UUCP:    ..cmcl2!phri!dasys1!patth
Big Electric Cat                  Compu$erve: 76566,2510

pozar@hoptoad.uucp (Tim Pozar) (10/22/87)

In article <642@orstcs.CS.ORST.EDU> nomad@orstcs.CS.ORST.EDU.UUCP (Lee Vincent Damon) writes:

> My mail bounced too...
>
> I would recommend that the person compiling the list get ahold of the Fido
>NodeList. It has about 2K entries now - from all over the world. There is
>also a list called, I think, PAMS (or some such) that lists many BBSs -
>presuming that it is still being updated it should be well over 3K entries.

   One caveat with the fido nodelist.  Some of the boards listed
are boards that are up for certain hours only.
   When my board was time-shared with our business lines at work
and PC Pursuit got ahold of our list and passed it out to it's
customers, all hell broke loose on our operator at the station.
Beware!  Time conditions are ussually listed at the end of the
entry for the node.
   Also, because of the PC Pursuit bit, and my yelling and
screaming to IFNA and PC Pursuit, IFNA will take a dim view of
the nodelist being repackaged.  You may want to contact them.
You can write them at:

               International FidoNet Association
               P. O. Box 41143
               St Louis, Missouri 63141
               USA

| ...sun!hoptoad!\                                     Tim Pozar      |
|                 >fidogate!pozar               Fido:  1:125/406      |
|  ...lll-winken!/                            PaBell:  (415) 788-3904 |
|         USNail:  KKSF  77 Maiden Lane  San Francisco CA 94108       |