[rec.arts.books] Public Domain Map Needed

cramer@optilink.UUCP (Clayton Cramer) (04/21/89)

I am about to become a published author (_By_The_Dim_And_Flaring_Lamps_:
_The_Civil_War_Diary_Of_Samuel_McIlvaine_), and my publisher suggested
that a map of the appropriate area would make dandy endpapers for the
book.  To reduce the time and expense of obtaining permission to use
someone else's map of the area, I've been looking for a public domain
map of the states Kentucky, Tennessee, Indiana, and Illinois.  (Essen-
tially, the Mississippi and Tennessee River valleys).

I went to the local university library, and found plenty of public
domain maps of the era, mostly of Civil War vintage, but the style
of mapmaking in mid-Nineteenth Century America involves very large
maps, filled with very fine print and detail.  These will NOT reduce
down to the 6" x 9" format of the book without looking like heck.

So does anyone have any public domain maps?  I'd like more than
state and county outlines, but may consider that if nothing better
comes available.  I don't read comp.graphics or rec.arts.books
regularly, so please email.

Thanks.
--
Clayton E. Cramer                   {pyramid,pixar,tekbspa}!optilink!cramer
Governments that don't trust most people with weapons, deserve no trust.

andrew@berlioz (Andrew Palfreyman) (04/23/89)

In article <1247@optilink.UUCP>, cramer@optilink.UUCP (Clayton Cramer) writes:
> [..] but the style
> of mapmaking in mid-Nineteenth Century America involves very large
> maps, filled with very fine print and detail.  These will NOT reduce
> down to the 6" x 9" format of the book without looking like heck. [..]
> Clayton E. Cramer                   {pyramid,pixar,tekbspa}!optilink!cramer

With your node address, don't you have access to amazing scanning optical
equipment and image manipulation software? Just curious!
--
Andrew Palfreyman 		USENET: ...{this biomass}!nsc!logic!andrew
National Semiconductor M/S D3969, 2900 Semiconductor Dr., PO Box 58090,

cramer@optilink.UUCP (Clayton Cramer) (04/24/89)

#
# With your node address, don't you have access to amazing scanning optical
# equipment and image manipulation software? Just curious!
# --
# Andrew Palfreyman 		USENET: ...{this biomass}!nsc!logic!andrew

Nope.  Optilink isn't in the optical scanning business -- we are in the
fiber optics digital loop carrier business.