[rec.arts.books] Alan Watt's Fundamentals of 3D Computer Graphics

xanthian@saturn.ADS.COM (Metafont Consultant Account) (01/17/90)

In article <0ARD=|@rpi.edu> wrf@mab.ecse.rpi.edu (Wm Randolph Franklin) writes:

>[...]There are also
>several other new graphics books out from AW, such as
[...]
>and
>
>Alan Watt
>Fundamentals of 3D Computer Graphics

I picked up Watt's book a couple of days ago locally (Computer
Literacy, Sunnyvale, CA):

	Alan Watt, _Fundamentals of Three-Dimensional Computer
	Graphics_, Addison Wesley, ISBN 0 201 154420, $38.75.

After a brief gloss over the book (I looked at the contents, figures,
listings, appendicies, read the intro), this is the perfect transition
for me from moving clipped 3D wireframe graphics, which I've done, to
rendering.

Watt takes the reader step by step through:

the basics (a simple 3D model, transformations, deformations, viewing
systems, the viewing pipeline);

reflection models (Phong, Cook & Torrance);

shading (Gouraud & Phong);

rendering (rasterization, hidden surface, composite models);

parametric representations (curves, surfaces, scan conversion);

ray-tracing (recursion, intersections, reflections & refraction,
illumination, shadows, distributed processing, anti-aliasing, adaptive
depth control, fancy bounding volumes, first hit speed up (?!?), spatial
coherence, octrees, BSP trees);

diffuse illumination and radiosity;

shadows, texture, and environment mapping;

functionally based modelling (particle systems, fractal systems, 3D texture
functions);

anti-aliasing (artifacts and Fourier theory, supersampling or
postfiltering, prefiltering or area sampling, stochastic sampling);

animation (key frame, parametric, programmed with scripting, model
driven/simulated, and temporal anti-aliasing);

color science (application, monitors, NTSC, models, colorimetry, the CIE
standard, realistic rendering and reflection models);

and appendices covering viewing transformations, wireframes, implementation
of a renderer, the Utah Teapot data set, a bit of theory, and highlight
detection.

[There, I didn't _quite_ type in the whole table of contents!  ;-) ]

Algorithms are in Pascal.  Coding tricks for speed are mentioned
occasionally, but the main emphasis is on clarity and correspondance
to the theory, a deliberate choice by the author.

Graphics standards (PHIGS, PHIGS+, GKS-3D) are mentioned here and
there in passing, but the model used throughout the book uses just two
implementation dependent calls: paint pixel xy in color rgb, and
inquire color rgb of pixel xy; much too simple a graphics system to
require a "standard".

I am too much of a newbie here to "recommend" a book I've barely
opened, but I'm sure going to enjoy this one, it covers exactly what I
wanted to know and seems to have the right level of detail, too.

--
Again, my opinions, not the account furnishers'.

xanthian@well.sf.ca.us  xanthian@ads.com (Kent Paul Dolan)
Kent, the (bionic) man from xanth, now available as a build-a-xanthian
kit at better toy stores near you.  Warning - some parts proven fragile.
-> METAFONT, TeX, graphics programming done on spec -- (415) 964-4486 <-