[rec.arts.sf-lovers] alt.anime

hirai@swatsun (Eiji "A.G." Hirai) (09/20/87)

Hello:

	Would anyone be interested in a creation of a group devoted do
Japanese animation discussions?  I think the time has come and the
alt alternative is just the right place for this.  With alt.anime,
we will never have to cross-post over sf-lovers and comics, and we
will also be able to consolidate some of the discussions taking place
over myriad mailing lists such as info-japan, nihongo, urusei-yatsura,
and of course, the now defunct mail.anime.

	I think the readership would not be able to exceed 100 or
so needed to create rec.anime but alt will allow us to to do this.
I also believe that alt.anime will reduce the traffic on the above
listed newsgroups and mailing lists.  Many times, articles in these
newsgroups/mailing lists overlap - an unnecessary waste.  Isn't this
the right opportunity to create alt.anime?  Japanese animation lovers
of the world, unite!

					-AG Hirai
--
Eiji "A.G." Hirai @ Swarthmore College, Swarthmore PA 19081 | Tel. 215-543-9855
UUCP:  {seismo, rutgers, ihnp4}!bpa!swatsun!hirai |  "All Cretans are liars."

webber@aramis.rutgers.edu (Bob Webber) (09/21/87)

In article <1289@thebes.swatsun.UUCP>, hirai@swatsun (Eiji "A.G." Hirai) writes:
> 	Would anyone be interested in a creation of a group devoted do
> Japanese animation discussions?  I think the time has come and the
> alt alternative is just the right place for this.  With alt.anime,
> we will never have to cross-post over sf-lovers and comics, and we
> will also be able to consolidate some of the discussions taking place
> over myriad mailing lists such as info-japan, nihongo, urusei-yatsura,
> and of course, the now defunct mail.anime.

Two questions:

  1) when did mail.anime go defunct?  it still appears on the list of
     valid mailing lists:
       mail.anime
          Contact: ihnp4!oliveb!long (Dave Long)

          Purpose: To provide information exchange for Japanese animation fen.

  2) is there some reason to concentrate on japanese animation and
     ignore all the other animation being done?  animation also gets
     discused in groups such as comp.graphics, rec.video, and recently
     a significant number of messages on comp.sys.amiga.

--------- BOB (webber@aramis.rutgers.edu ; rutgers!aramis.rutgers.edu!webber)

hirai@swatsun (Eiji "A.G." Hirai) (09/21/87)

In article <1606@aramis.rutgers.edu>, webber@aramis.rutgers.edu (Bob Webber) writes:
> Two questions:
>   1) when did mail.anime go defunct?  it still appears on the list of
>      valid mailing lists:

	The mailing list became defunct very recently.  Dave Long sent
a letter to everyone on the mailing list, saying that since there hasn't
been any articles coming in for a long time, he was terminating the
mailing list.  Many of the paths on the list do not reach existing users
now.

>   2) is there some reason to concentrate on japanese animation and
>      ignore all the other animation being done?  animation also gets
>      discused in groups such as comp.graphics, rec.video, and recently
>      a significant number of messages on comp.sys.amiga.

	When I say (when most people on sf-lovers say) Japanese animation,
I usually mean Japanese animation such as those found in movies and TV,
mostly for entertainment.  I hadn't thought of any technical discussion
on computer graphics/animation.  That's an entirely new realm altogether.

	Anyway, thanks for the interest and questions!  At least someone
is reading Usenet! :-)

					-AG Hirai
--

mwtilden@orchid.UUCP (09/21/87)

In article <1606@aramis.rutgers.edu> webber@aramis.rutgers.edu (Bob Webber) writes:

>  1) when did mail.anime go defunct?  it still appears on the list of
>     valid mailing lists:
>       mail.anime
>          Contact: ihnp4!oliveb!long (Dave Long)
>
>          Purpose: To provide information exchange for Japanese animation fen.
>
>  2) is there some reason to concentrate on japanese animation and
>     ignore all the other animation being done?  animation also gets
>     discused in groups such as comp.graphics, rec.video, and recently
>     a significant number of messages on comp.sys.amiga.

Mail.anime has not delivered so much as a nibble in over a year and a half.
I hear rumors that Dave Long was carried off by radioactive hamsters or
something.  Anyway, the convenience of a newsgroup is to be able to sort
through a host of topics, not all of which may interest you.  Mail groups
send you a long slogging file and are hardly interactive.

The reason to concentrate on Japanese Animation is primarily the media,
rather than the style or technique of animation (although they can also be
discussed).  Over the past 7 years, the Japanese have been coming out with
some astonishing quality science-fiction series and movies directed towards
mature audiences (in Japan, live-action shows are for kids, animation for
teens to adults).  Unlike American drek (see: Heavy Metal, the movie) the
plots are complex and involved with significant character development, graphic
violence, sex and stylism.  Of the few North Americans who get to see the
original material, some (like myself) try to see more.  CFO chapters are
busy trying to translate and subtitle the stuff but there is still much to
discuss. Primarily interpretations and questions about shows designed for
the Japanese culture, plot synopses, new releases and so forth.

I think a seperate newsgroup would be great, but that's just my
opinion.  So, if you'd like to support the United alt.anime fund, please
register your vote with me or E.J. (see <1289@thebes.swatsun.UUCP>)

Operators are standing by...

--
Mark Tilden: _-_-_-__--__--_      /(glitch!)  M.F.C.F Hardware Design Lab.
-_-___       |              \  /\/            Un. of Waterloo. Canada, N2L-3G1

jordan@apple.UUCP (Jordan Mattson) (09/21/87)

Dear Eiji -

	I will read alt.animie if you get it going.  It is about time we had a
net group going on this area.  How about including manga in our discussions?
	Also, could you post information on the nihongo and info-japan mailing
lists?

--

Jordan Mattson				UUCP:   ucbvax!mtxinu!apple!jordan
Apple Computer, Inc.			CSNET: 	jordan@apple.CSNET

elliott@tramp.Colorado.EDU (ELLIOTT JAMES ERIK) (09/22/87)

  I, too, feel that there is a need for _some_ sort of support for anime.  We
fans often suffer from the bias that Americans have - that animation is just
for kids.  A newsgroup would help us reach more people and maybe even convince
users to give this stuff a try.  News and synopses of new shows seem to travel
_so_ slowly sometimes.  There ought to be some some way to exchange information
much more quickly.

  I'm in favor of either alt.anime or a new mail.anime.  Would AG or Mark be
willing to run a mailing list?

		Jim Elliott

UUCP: ..!{hao|nbires}!boulder!tramp!elliott   or elliott@tramp.UUCP
INTERNET:  elliott@tramp.Colorado.EDU