[rec.arts.sf-lovers] re alt.cyberpunk and rec.arts.sf-lovers

webber@brandx.rutgers.edu.UUCP (10/30/87)

In article <23463COK@PSUVMA>, COK@PSUVMA.BITNET (R. W. Clark, K. S. C.) writes:
> Some neat little rumors I think other alt.cyberpunks might be interested in,
> or already know.  I'm crossposting this to rec.arts.sf-lovers because I find
> it rather odd that cyberpunk is ghettoized in alt.cyberpunk.  It really seems
> that alt.cyberpunk should just merge with rec.arts.sf-lovers.  It would make
> more sense that way.
> [A possible apology: If any of this stuff has appeared before,I apologize for
> wasting time with it;just recently, alt.cyberpunk became a valid newsgroup in
> PSUVMA, so I may have missed discussion of this. If not, I suppose I can take
> a bow for bringing new information onto the newsgroup.]

alt.cyberpunk has existed for 134 messages (as meaningful as any other
time unit on the net).  It is not a subset of sf-lovers, although from
time to time there is overlap.  Basically it is a group for people who
want to consider the concepts presented in ``cyberpunk'' novels at
both the fictional and nonfictional level.  Thus sometimes messages on
alt.cyberpunk look more like comp.risks or comp.arch or comp.graphics
than like rec.arts.sf-lovers.  The group allows people to address
matters in a way that is counter to the organization of the comp.*
and rec.* groups.

While it doesn't reach all the backwaters that rec.arts.sf-lovers
reaches, the audience of alt.cyberpunk is reasonably large and the
group tends to be better read since it is smaller.  Lacking a decent
keyword structure, this is the best one can do on Usenet.

---------- BOB (webber@aramis.rutgers.edu ; rutgers!aramis.rutgers.edu!webber)