[rec.arts.sf-lovers] Missing Message

mcb@tis.llnl.gov (Michael C. Berch) (01/22/88)

In article <4130@uwmcsd1.UUCP> wes@csd4.milw.wisc.edu (Wesley James Vokes)
writes:
> A friend of mine wanted to know about a previous message on the newsgroup
> that was deleted.  If anyone here has article #1525 from 'rec.arts.drwho'
> could you please send it to me via mail?  Thanks..  I guess it was some
> sort of program guide, but I'm not sure on that.

This has been pointed out regularly (perhaps it needs to be in
"Frequently Asked Questions" in the newuser docs?), but you should be
aware that there is no "article #1525" in a newsgroup; the article
number is whatever got assigned when the article arrived at *your*
site and has no meaning outside of your site; article #1525 in
rec.arts.drwho *here* is undoubtedly something completely different.

The only way to globally refer to a news article is by the
"Message-ID", which can be found in the header (using the rn "v"
command).  The article I am following up to, for example, is
<4130@uwmcsd1.UUCP>.

Michael C. Berch
mcb@tis.llnl.gov / {ames,ihnp4,lll-crg,lll-lcc,mordor}!lll-tis!mcb