[rec.arts.sf-lovers] Hedonic Engineering

COK@PSUVMA.BITNET (The Pentagonal Potentate) (01/30/88)

In article <892@xn.LL.MIT.EDU>, jim@XN.LL.MIT.EDU (Jim L. Washburn) says:

>        I don't really think it is reasonable
>to condem somebody for what they dream.  As far
>as I know it is not possible to control your
>dreams.  If it was I would sure like to know how
>as often my dreams are unpleasant.

Oh boy.  I decided to crosspost to cyberpunk.  Self mind-alteration
is such a ripe topic for this group.  In the [garble] issue of Omni
you will find an excellent article on lucid dreaming.  Lucid dreaming
is, of course, the ability to have both the knowledge that one is dreaming
and the capability of altering the dream.

The way to start a lucid dream is to arrange to realize in mid-dream:
"Hey, this is just a dream!"  The best way of arranging this is doing an
occasional 'Reality Check' during the day, preferably at intervals of
a few minutes.  Make it a regular habit; don't go more than five minutes
without asking yourself:  "Am I dreaming?"  After a week or so of this,
the habit will become a common action, and you will be sure to do a
Reality Check during a dream.  Then the fun starts.

Try flying during a dream sometime.  First concentrate on hovering a
few feet above the ground.  Then progress to actual flight, but be
careful with your progress.  If you attempt to fly too high during a dream,
you may end up losing control and 'crashing.'  When you feel the sensation
of falling, it will very probably cause you to wake up unpleasantly.

Getting back into a dream:  If you feel the dream fading and become aware
of your actual surroundings, concentrate on spinning your dream body.  This
will serve to push wakefulness away and allow you to remain in the dream.

If Reality Checks start failing to work properly:  Generally, the mere mention
of the word "dream" in a dream gives away the whole show.  However, your
subconscious becomes more and more devious in its attempts to prevent you
from dreaming lucidly.  From personal experience I know that this is true in
certain cases.  After a while, even Reality Checks may fail to turn up a
correct result.  The one completely reliable method of checking reality,
as given by Omni, is, after asking, "Am I dreaming?" and receiving a negative
response, to look at an object of printed material, read it, look away,
and re-read it.  If it's the same the first as the second time, you are
NOT dreaming.  It hasn't failed for me yet.

Does anyone else have any interesting experiences with lucid dreaming?

Post replies, or email if you're that sort of person.
-------
cok%psuvma@psuvax1.psu.edu      "I'd love to, m'lad, but this fine Havana
UUCP:. . .rutgers!psuvax1!       magic wand is a bit too short to grant
 psuvma.BITNET!cok               wishes with."  Jackeen J. O'malley

DGS@PSUVM.BITNET (02/03/88)

Yep... I hear the use of some B-vitamin will help people get in
control of their dreams and let them remember them better, since
i've only got a few seconds of remembering my dreams after I get up...

but I hear it makes one piss fluorescent colors...

but then some things i've done can make you think you're dreaming
and/or pissing fluorescent colors while awake/?

but then, again, I could be wrong, i think...

why is it looking at me?

make iit stopp..

ghurgh

ag;,
-------
waes hael
::::::::::::::::::::::::
WYlff - DGS@PSUVM.BITNET
::::::::::::::::::::::::

mkhaw@teknowledge-vaxc.ARPA (Mike Khaw) (02/04/88)

> The way to start a lucid dream is to arrange to realize in mid-dream:
> "Hey, this is just a dream!"  The best way of arranging this is doing an

I've had nightmares where in the middle of the whole thing I realize that
it's just a dream, so everything pauses (like freeze-frame) but hard as I
try I can't wake up, so I have to let the dream continue.  At least the
continuation isn't so scary, since I then know it's just a dream.

Mike Khaw
--
internet:  mkhaw@teknowledge-vaxc.arpa
usenet:	   {uunet|sun|ucbvax|decwrl|uw-beaver}!mkhaw%teknowledge-vaxc.arpa

kessner@tramp.Colorado.EDU (Eric M. Kessner, K.S.C.) (02/05/88)

In article <31838DGS@PSUVM> DGS@PSUVM.BITNET writes:
>Yep... I hear the use of some B-vitamin will help people get in
>control of their dreams and let them remember them better, since
>i've only got a few seconds of remembering my dreams after I get up...

It's vitamin B-12, and it makes you dream in very intense colors. Just take a
few tem minutes or so before you go to sleep.  If you want to remember your
dreams, just get into the habit of writing what you remember down as soon as you
wake up, after about 2 weeks, you'll find yourself remembering most of your
dreams and sometimes more than one a night.

Hardware Note:  A few years ago Omni has an article about lucid dreaming, and
mentioned a hardware device for invoking lucid dreams.  It recognized when you
went into r.e.m. state & gave you four very weak shocks on the wrist (to mean:
this is a dream).  Has anybody heard anything about these or other devices?

Eric Kessner