[rec.arts.sf-lovers] Jerry Pournelle

In article <4195@bloom-beacon.MIT.EDU>, jfc@athena.mit.edu (John F Carr) writes:
> Pournelle is an informed, intelligent source who supports such
> accusations as quoted above with facts.

Really? Where did you get this impression?

Jerry Pournelle is notorious for shooting from the hip. The best explanation
I have heard goes like this:

	"Jerry has a degree in Political Science, which in his opinion
	gives him expertise in related subjects... such as those that
	begin with the letters P or S, or any other letter of the
	alphabet."

Have you ever read any of his computer columns in Byte? He expounds at great
length about moderately technical matters, acting like an expert, but when
anyone challenges his outrageous claims he figuratively steps back, waves his
hands, and says "hey, I'm just a user".

He's also wasted Larry Niven's time on endless collaborations that are not
anywhere near the quality of Larry's solo work... and seems to have infected
Larry with a streak of pessimism. I wish he'd wise up and stop trying to
recreate "Mote in God's Eye".
--
-- Peter da Silva  `-_-'  ...!hoptoad!academ!uhnix1!sugar!peter
-- Disclaimer: These U aren't mere opinions... these are *values*.