[rec.arts.sf-lovers] Fusion --- a Second Look

pmk@prometheus.UUCP (Paul M Koloc) (03/14/89)

In article <15453@cup.portal.com> mmm@cup.portal.com (Mark Robert Thorson) writes:
>Lawrence C Foard says:
>The big stumbling block in fusion energy has been instabilities in plasma
>confinement.  You try to compress a plasma in a magnetic bottle, and the
>plasma leaks through like it was made of cheesecloth.

Topology has a lot to do with plasma instability, for example,
Stellarators are very touchy, tokamaks less so and Spheromaks are
even ideally MHD STABLE!  Confinement suffers if the plasma energy
is increased (i.e. heated --as by absorbing power from particle
beams, RF, etc ) without also correspondingly increasing the energy
density (pressure) of the confining magnetic field.  The latter is
accomplished in adiabatic toroidal compression.

>This is the main problem with achieving pure fusion energy.  The pressures
>and densities which are required are so high, they are beyond technology
>for the foreseeable future (some people involved in the effort would
>dispute this).

This said "main problem" is machine dependent, and is true of
devices --magnetic fusion devices-- that utilize externally applied
pressure (usually magnetic coils) very inefficiently to generate
thermonuclear plasma pressure.  In the CIT tokamak, for example,
pressure of nearly one kilo atmosphere of peak magnetic pressure
produced by the toroidal field coils near the inner wall is necessary
to stably confine a plasma of less than five atmospheres pressure.
In the Spheromak the situation is somewhat reversed since the maximum
pressure on the external conducting shell can be exceeded by plasma
pressure on the minor toroidal axis by a factor of three or so.

We have proposed an advanced form of the Spheromak, the PLASMAK
plasmoid, which contains all energetic (relativistic) currents with
a plasma conducting spherical shell or Mantle which is located at outer
surface of the vacuum field - and impinging inner surface of a high
pressure gas blanket.  During a powerful formation EMP, the dense
plasma Mantle is formed along with the central doughnut like Kernel
toroidal plasma.  The thermonuclear Kernel plasma is centrally
suspended by its surrounding vacuum magnetic field and in turn
that vacuum field is trapped like a pupae in a cocoon by the
highly conducting energetic inner surface currents of the Mantle.

Within the Kernel energetic currents impart stability against
resistive modes as well as long magnetic lifetimes and excellent
particle confinement times.  The Mantle makes it fluid (mechanically)
compressible, and consequently pressures great enough to burn deuterium +
helium-3 or hydrogen + boron-11 appear feasible.  Power densities
could exceed multimegawatt per cubic centimeter, thus making this
concept the most compact of all power sources.  That means that
operating "aneutronically" (no radiation), efficiently, and with
both compact size and mass each of many other very useful
applications would avail themselves to a commercial solution.

Efficiencies, other properties such as ADSACH and comparison to other
devices are discussed in a special issue of "FUSION TECHNOLOGY"  for
this month of March.  Article name is 'PLASMAK(tm) Star Power for
Energy Intensive Space Applications'.

The pessimistic prediction of a rather stodgy, tainted fusion future
beginning after 2050 is not so completely secure. IF PLASMAK(tm)
technology proves out, aneutronic fusion can happen in as soon as ten
years, and it would then open space to an extension of the biosphere,
with a much cleaner earth resulting from economical replacement of
today's more polluting energy forms.

		Sweepingly innovative ideas are never planned for
                      and therefore, can not be funded.

+---------------------------------------------------------+--------+
| Paul M. Koloc, President: (301) 445-1075                | FUSION |
| Prometheus II, Ltd.; College Park, MD 20740-0222        |  this  |
| mimsy!prometheus!pmk; pmk@prometheus.UUCP               | decade |
+---------------------------------------------------------+--------+

mvp@v7fs1.UUCP (Mike Van Pelt) (03/14/89)

In article <1114@prometheus.UUCP> pmk@promethe.UUCP (Paul M Koloc) writes:
>We have proposed an advanced form of the Spheromak, the PLASMAK
>plasmoid, ...
> ... consequently pressures great enough to burn deuterium +
>helium-3 or hydrogen + boron-11 appear feasible.  ... That means that
>operating "aneutronically" (no radiation), efficiently, and with
>both compact size and mass each of many other very useful
>applications would avail themselves to a commercial solution.
>IF PLASMAK(tm)
>technology proves out, aneutronic fusion can happen in as soon as ten
>years, and it would then open space to an extension of the biosphere,
>with a much cleaner earth resulting from economical replacement of
>today's more polluting energy forms.

Fascinating... Do you have any more information?  I'd like to take
a look at it.

Fusion power has been "Real Soon Now" ((TM) Jerry Pournelle) for as
long as I can remember.  Lots of tantalizing hints of breakthroughs
come and go (whatever happened to Migma?) but nothing ever seems to
come of it.  I'd really like to see fusion work!

I think, though, that pushing "no radiation" in an attempt to placate
those who run screaming in horror at the word "radiation" is futile.
The core group of these people is implacable.  Even though radiation is
going to be less of a problem with fusion than with fission, the
"problem" is not going to go away.  (If you're doing D-T fusion, you're
going to have a hard time avoiding some T-T fusion, too.) That's not to
say it isn't a problem that can be dealt with.  But then, the
radioactivity of fission plants can be dealt with, too, as the French
are so ably demonstrating.

Besides, I'm convinced that what's really behind a lot of the "No
Nooks" crowd is an agenda which does not include any sources of
electricity.  As Amory Lovins said, "It would be nothing short of
disastrous if we were to discover a source of cheap, clean, abundant
energy."  These people are going to be chaining themselves to the gates
of your construction sites no matter how safe and clean your plant is,
as soon as they perceive a risk that you might be sucessful.

As the whole fission flap shows, facts don't matter.  Public perception
does.  If we don't figure out some way to ignore the technophobes, in
the same way that the Flat Earth Society is ignored, we're on a fast
track back to the 12'th century no matter how sucessful PLASMAK is.
--
Mike Van Pelt                          Here lies a Technophobe,
Video 7                                   No whimper, no blast.

pmk@prometheus.UUCP (Paul M Koloc) (03/15/89)

In article <269@v7fs1.UUCP> mvp@v7fs1.UUCP (Mike Van Pelt) writes:
>In article <1114@prometheus.UUCP> pmk@promethe.UUCP (Paul M Koloc) writes:
>>We have proposed an advanced form of the Spheromak, the PLASMAK
>>plasmoid, ...
>> ... consequently pressures great enough to burn deuterium +
>>helium-3 or hydrogen + boron-11 appear feasible.  ... That means that
>>operating "aneutronically" (no radiation), efficiently, and with

>... Do you have any more information?  I'd like to take
>a look at it.    ... . .  (whatever happened to Migma?)

The reference noted in my previous article appears in a supplement
to "FUSION TECHNOLOGY" which covers reviewed papers from The
American Nuclear Society's Salt Lake Meeting on "The Technology
of Fusion Energy".  The proceedings are just now being shipped
by the printer to libraries and participants, although I have
not yet received my copy.  The article title is: 'PLASMAK(tm)
Star Power for Energy Intensive Space Applications'.

The article also briefly discusses MIGMA.  Basically, progress on
Migma has been quite steady to date.  However, it must reach several
orders of magnitude higher plasma density before it will be commercially
successful.  Each order of magnitude increase in density represents
a new development or research challenge and an evolved MIGMA device.
Each level requires millions of dollars and at least one or two years
time.  Also, there is a chorus of theorists chanting "instability"
at each level of density, but so far so good.  It would be great
if Migma and the PLASMAK(tm) concept both worked.  The former
would be a sort of thermonuclear birthday candle, while the
latter, with its deca-gigawatt output, would be more like an
electric cutting torch by comparison.

>I think, though, that pushing "no radiation" in an attempt to placate
>those who run screaming in horror at the word "radiation" is futile.

Not Quite so!!  That is not the engineering reason for greatly minimizing
or zeroing the "radiation problem."  Let me explain and put aside the
biological/environmental effects which can be discussed elsewhere.

Certain applications need very high power density with little
cooling. To fly from the earth's surface to Mars surface and turn
around and fly back again within four to six weeks, requires an
extremely low mass but exceptionally powerful energy device that
can heat planetary atmospheric gases for reaction mass during
boost phase and then "transform" to closed cycle electric power
generation, which in turn drives a small reaction mass to great
velocities, i. e. a plasmoid accelerator interplanetary rocket
engine.

The very energetic (fast) neutron flux from a D-T reaction carries
most of the reaction energy and would penetrate a dense gas blanket
and deposit that energy in the inertial compression driven walls.
The walls would not be insulated from the fusion energy as they would
be by a dense blanket gas in an aneutronic burner.  Consequently,
they would change state (i. e. melt to liquid or sublimate to gas
or plasma).  Therefore, NEUTRONIC burners (as with D-T) can NOT burn
at much power density. Tokamaks face the "wall power limit" and that
results in a few watts per cubic centimeter from the fuel plasma.
Consequently, tokamaks are colossal in size.  By comparison the volume
of the compressed thermonuclear plasma in a 60 hertz three phase (180
pulse burns/second) 10 gigawatt PLASMAK burner is about that of a
small plum.

It is only natural that if the aneutronic fuel contains millions of
times the energy per unit mass as common chemical fuels, then the burn
power density should also be substantially higher, and with a developed
PLASMAK device it will be.   Yet there is no risk that it will
become unstable and ignite or explode outside of a controlled burn
that takes place in the normally functioning engine.  The fuel
itself is not dangerous.  On the other hand NEUTRONIC fuels such
as tritium or certain plutonium/uranium isotopes are hazardous.

>radioactivity of fission plants can be dealt with, too, as the French
>are so ably demonstrating.

Hmmmm?  I understand they handle their alcohol a diluted sip at a
time so well, that, it is now impossible to find an imbibing French
continental who can remember the details of his/her own experiences
in the second world war.  Handling is relative.

>.. .   If we don't figure out some way to ignore the technophobes, in

Probably a form of xenophobe.  I worry more about the investor
that a few years ago considered IBM clones a "really high risk," and
the tons of people apparently hooked on credit instead of piling up
stock in companies on the cutting edge of technology.