[rec.arts.sf-lovers] _The Difference Engine_ and news about Gibson and Sterling

zane@ddsw1.MCS.COM (Sameer Parekh) (03/09/91)

In article <17695@milton.u.washington.edu> maddox@blake.u.washington.edu (Tom Maddox) writes:
>	Bruce Sterling has signed a contract with a major
>publisher to do a non-fiction book on Operation Sun Devil and the
>general topic of the anti-hacker wars.
>--
>				Tom Maddox
>	"I am the Moderator!  And I will post from where I please."
>				Moderator Man

	If this is true I will be immensely glad. . .when is it coming out?

--
zane@ddsw1.MCS.COM

lsh@polari.UUCP (Lee Hauser) (03/11/91)

In article <i32Jy2w164w@dogface>  writes:

>Bruce Sterling's name wasn't immediately familiar...  Has he written something

He wrote "Islands In the Net" and "Schismatrix," as well as editing
"Mirrorshades: The Cyberpunk Anthology."  He's also written a fair
number of articles on everything from Japanese rock music to
electronic freedom.  If you're not into cyberpunk or it's nonfiction
supporting literature such as Mondo 2000 and Whole Earth Review, you
might not have heard of him.

On another subject, I've done a fair amount of reading on both
Operation Sun Devil and the Steve Jackson Games incident and hadn't
heard about them being directly related at all.  The Jackson fiasco
came about (it is believed) because the Cyberpunk GURPS had some sort
of potential to give information on how to committ computer crimes,
which is ridiculous.

--
                  uw-beaver!sumax!polari!lsh -- lsh@polari