[comp.sources.bugs] Stanback Chess Program

stark@sbstaff2.UUCP (Eugene Stark) (05/21/87)

After applying Rich $alz's patches, I compiled the Stanback program
both on a VAX running 4.3BSD and a Sun 3/75.  Although the user
interface seems to work correctly, the program doesn't play chess
on either machine.  As soon as it leaves the opening book, it
says "Opponent will soon mate" and then "Opponent mates" on the
next move.  After that, it refuses to move itself, and you can
make any move you like -- even capture its king.

Did anyone else have this problem?  When the program was first
posted, I scanned the source and decided not to bother with it, but
there have since been several rave reviews posted to the net, so I
decided to try it out.  So far, it has lived up to my original
expectations.  Hopefully there is a simple fix.

					Gene Stark

evins@nrl-radar.arpa (Jim Evins) (05/22/87)

Ditto!

amartin@wolf.UUCP (05/22/87)

In article <653@sbstaff2.UUCP>, stark@sbstaff2.UUCP (Eugene Stark) writes:
> After applying Rich $alz's patches, I compiled the Stanback program
> both on a VAX running 4.3BSD and a Sun 3/75.  Although the user
> interface seems to work correctly, the program doesn't play chess
> on either machine.  As soon as it leaves the opening book, it
> says "Opponent will soon mate" and then "Opponent mates" on the
> next move.  After that, it refuses to move itself, and you can
> make any move you like -- even capture its king.

I just compiled it today (Gould Powernode running UTX1.2) and I get
the exact same behavior.  I suspect there is some type of overflow/underflow
problem in the move evaluator, but I haven't yet had a chance to figure it
out.

 --
  Al Martin
  ...sdcsvax!wolf!amartin

jip@nih-csl.UUCP (john powell) (05/22/87)

ditto ditto ....On a Sun 3/50 running 3.0 and 3.2 .
A very short game!

		jip - siesmo!elsie!cecil!jip

coleman@sask.UUCP (Geoff Coleman @ College of Engineering) (05/22/87)

> Ditto!
Double Ditto
	Only it tells me that the computer has won
when I'm not in check let alone mate. This is after about
eight moves a side.
	WOuld someone please post a fix to this problem

--
Geoff Coleman                         | BITNET: Coleman@sask
College of Engineering                | UUCP: {utcsri,ihnp4}!sask!skul!geoff