[comp.sources.bugs] CHESS

lynng@copper.TEK.COM (Lynn Gurske) (05/11/87)

I must have missed this while I was on vacation.  Could someone please repost
the chess game.  Thankyou in advance.

ger@qtecmuc.UUCP (05/15/87)

>	I must have missed this while I was on vacation.  Could someone
>	please repost the chess game.  Thankyou in advance.

Imagine, everything would get posted worldwide three times until everyone
is back from his vacations. You can't be serious !!

Gerhard Pehland
Quantec Tonstudiotechnik GmbH
UUCP: ...!seismo!unido!qtecmuc!ger

andersa@kuling.UUCP (Anders Andersson) (05/31/87)

In article <19700001@qtecmuc.UUCP> ger@qtecmuc.UUCP writes:
>>	I must have missed this while I was on vacation.  Could someone
>>	please repost the chess game.  Thankyou in advance.
>
>Imagine, everything would get posted worldwide three times until everyone
>is back from his vacations. You can't be serious !!

The aim (to obtain chess) is ok, but the means are not. What's obviously
needed is a better archive distribution scheme than Usenet News. As this
is too short a statement for inews to accept, I suggest implementing a
kind of distributed database system for the archives, using UUCP as the
transport medium, which handles distribution of archive announcements to
all hosts as well as the archives themselves on demand, with some kind of
archive cache at backbones and other possible key hosts.
--
Anders Andersson, Dept. of Computer Systems, Uppsala University, Sweden
Phone: +46 18 183170

billr@tekred.TEK.COM (Bill Randle) (06/01/87)

In article <387@kuling.UUCP> andersa@kuling.UUCP (Anders Andersson) writes:
>In article <19700001@qtecmuc.UUCP> ger@qtecmuc.UUCP writes:
>>>	I must have missed this while I was on vacation.  Could someone
>>>	please repost the chess game.  Thankyou in advance.
>>
>>Imagine, everything would get posted worldwide three times until everyone
>>is back from his vacations. You can't be serious !!
 >
 >The aim (to obtain chess) is ok, but the means are not. What's obviously
 >needed is a better archive distribution scheme than Usenet News. As this
 >is too short a statement for inews to accept, I suggest implementing a
 >kind of distributed database system for the archives, using UUCP as the
 >transport medium, which handles distribution of archive announcements to
 >all hosts as well as the archives themselves on demand, with some kind of
 >archive cache at backbones and other possible key hosts.
 >--
 >Anders Andersson, Dept. of Computer Systems, Uppsala University, Sweden

For the case of games, there is a distributed archive of all of the
games posted to comp.sources.games.  There are INTERNET ftp'able sites,
BITNET sites and uucp sites, as well as people who are willing to make
tapes (typically for large requests).  A list of archive sites is
posted occaisonally to comp.sources.games and is also available by mail
from me.  Although not as automated as what Anders is suggesting, it
can be a workable alternative if people check first before sending a
request to the net for reposting.

[I'm directing followups to comp.sources.d, since this really isn't
a bug issue.]
--

	-Bill Randle
	Tektronix, Inc.