[comp.sources.bugs] rn xref broken

imtsft@imt3b2.UUCP (IMT) (07/18/87)

Rn does not appear to handle articles posted to multiple groups.
netnews is compiled to ( and does ) generate the xref lines for
rn. However rn displays articles that have already been read in
other news groups.

Any ideas or help?

Our environment:

	AT&T 3b2/310
	UNIX SVR2
	netnews 2.11 - Patch level 8
	rn 4.3.1.4.

name	: IMT (Group Administrator)
email	: (trwrb|scgvaxd)!felix!peregrine!imt3b2!imtsft
internet: ucivax@ucbvax.BERKELY.EDU!ucivax%felix!peregrine!imtsft@imt3b2
Paul Czarnik

rsk@j.cc.purdue.edu (Whitewater Wombat) (07/20/87)

In article <2314@imt3b2.UUCP> imtsft@imt3b2.UUCP (IMT) writes:
>Rn does not appear to handle articles posted to multiple groups.
>netnews is compiled to ( and does ) generate the xref lines for
>rn. However rn displays articles that have already been read in
>other news groups.

If you mark articles as "read" with the 'c' command, rn apparently
does not mark the xref'd articles as read in all groups in which they
appear.  I'm undecided as to whether this is a bug or a feature.

Incidentally, I couldn't tell from your posting which patchlevel
of news and/or rn you're at; news 2.11 is at patchlevel 8 or so,
rn 4.3 is at patchlevel 40 or so.
--
Rich Kulawiec, rsk@j.cc.purdue.edu, j.cc.purdue.edu!rsk
PUCC News Administrator

nerd@percival.UUCP (Michael Galassi) (07/23/87)

In article <2314@imt3b2.UUCP> imtsft@imt3b2.UUCP (IMT) writes:

>Rn does not appear to handle articles posted to multiple groups.
>netnews is compiled to ( and does ) generate the xref lines for
>rn. However rn displays articles that have already been read in
>other news groups.
>
>Any ideas or help?

I had the same problem some time ago, I poked and pried and found that
the sources to rn I had had not been patched correctly.  I don't remember
which file it was in but the patch changed the header line that got searched
for the system name.  It used to be the Relay-Version (or something like
that) in the older news releases (2.10.2 and earlier), but those lines
got killed so another line got used in it's place.  The specific problem
is that the Xref line added by inews has the system name on it but this
does not match the name in the Relay-Version (or whatever) line so rn
assumes the X-ref line is from another system and ignores it.  I beleive
the mis-aplied patch was in the late 20s or early 30s.  As an added tip,
it was the patch that added a check for news 2.10.3 or later in Configure.
Hope this helps, it is hopelessly jumbled but at 0215 what do you expect?
-michael
--
If my employer knew my opinions he would probably look for another engineer.

	Michael Galassi, Frye Electronics, Tigard, OR
		tektronix!reed!percival!nerd

russell@imtec.co.uk (Russell Brown) (07/24/87)

In article <2314@imt3b2.UUCP> imtsft@imt3b2.UUCP (IMT) writes:
>Rn does not appear to handle articles posted to multiple groups.
>........... rn displays articles that have already been read in
>other news groups.

I have the same problem with rn - it's version 4.3.1.4 to patchlevel 39 running
on SVR2 (yes rnews/inews is generating xref lines!). Was there a later patch
that got xrefs working?

I have not really been bothered by rereading articles until the WEBBER WARS :-)
broke out - it would be kind of nice for this feature to work. Any ideas?

| Russell Brown                      | Voice: +44 733 234433             |
| Imtec Computers Ltd.               | UUCP: ...!mcvax!ukc!{inset,stc}!  |
| 18 Manasty Road, Orton Southgate   |                     imtec!russell |
| Peterborough, Cambs, PE2 0UP, UK   | EMAIL: russell@imtec.co.uk        |