[comp.sources.bugs] Not enough food in `Rogue'.

sparrow@uxc.cso.uiuc.edu (08/24/87)

John Haugh writes:
>Some people here have requested that I make the Rogue clone recently posted
>to comp.sources.games have more food in it.  Seems they keeps dieing of
>starvation somewheres near level 14.

I haven't seen the Rogue close posted to comp.sources.games, but in
the original game the limited amount of food was considered a
feature... not a bug.  The idea is to find that ring of slow
digestion!  This is similar to the feature of the floating eyes
transfixing you, it makes the game more exciting.

Best wishes,
Vic Sparrow
sparrow@osiris.cso.uiuc.edu

In article <182100002@uxc.cso.uiuc.edu>, sparrow@uxc.cso.uiuc.edu writes:
> digestion!  This is similar to the feature of the floating eyes
> transfixing you, it makes the game more exciting.

I've seen the code. It sure looks like a bug to me. Each turn the floating
eyes add an average of 1.5 turns to your transfixion, but the code is clearly
designed to simulate exponential decay... your transfixion is supposed to
have a half-life. Also... *HAVING THE GAME LOCK YOUR TERMINAL WHILE FLOATING
EYES FREEZE YOU IS AS FOUL A TRICK AS I HAVE EVER SEEN*. It can take up to half
an hour (real time) to die of starvation. Longer if the system is heavily
loaded. During this time you can not use your terminal... and if it's late
at night and everyone's offices are locked you can't even get to another
terminal to kill it. Death by TROFF (that being what's usually loading the
system late at night). We don't have this problem at my current job, since
there are gobs of terminals. At other sites, however, it's been cause for
grief. I actually got the superuser to remove the game so I wouldn't be
tempted to play it while waiting for a compile... "Surely the eyes won't get
me this time :->".
--
-- Peter da Silva `-_-' ...!seismo!soma!uhnix1!sugar!peter
--                  U   <--- not a copyrighted cartoon :->

arnold@apollo.UUCP (09/01/87)

In article <577@sugar.UUCP> Peter da Silva writes:
>Each turn the floating
>eyes add an average of 1.5 turns to your transfixion, but the code is clearly
>designed to simulate exponential decay... your transfixion is supposed to
>have a half-life. Also... *HAVING THE GAME LOCK YOUR TERMINAL WHILE FLOATING
>EYES FREEZE YOU IS AS FOUL A TRICK AS I HAVE EVER SEEN*.

Yeah, but it was one of the funnest trisk to implement we ever did.  I mean,
in a work-to-evil-pleasure ratio sense, of course.

>It can take up to half
>an hour (real time) to die of starvation. Longer if the system is heavily
>loaded. During this time you can not use your terminal...

Have you never heard of the interrupt?  You can interrupt it and it
will allow you to quit, at least on any version more advanced than
protozoa.

>-- Peter da Silva

		Ken Arnold