[comp.sources.bugs] conquest newsletter #3

smile@mhuxd.UUCP (Edward Barlow) (12/02/87)

      *                   CONQUEST NEWSLETTER.            volume 3.   *
      *                                                               *
      * by (The) Ed Barlow  -- author of conquest                     *
      * {ihnp4}!homxc!smile                                           *

Another newsletter...

Progress on a couple of fronts since last we talked.

1) patch files have been written for those who still wish them.  send EMAIL.
2) I plan to release a new version of the source around the first of the
	year.  Code is much enhanced and more stable than the beta version
	but documentation needs much work.  Anybody who wishes a new copy
	now (to test for me) should send EMAIL to me.  Comments and additional
	enhancement requests welcome.
3) Still have not thought of a new name for the game.  Best so far is
	<Midguard> (need to check spelling).  Comments?
4) I may have to move machines soon... will keep you posted about my address.

Bug Fixes and Enhancements since last we spoke will not be posted here,
but shall be summarized:

1.  Installation, maintenance, and operations scripts have been improved
2.  You can now scroll between budget and production
3.  You can now pick through all armies/navies in sector
4.  You can now raise an army in a sector with a single navy in it.
5.  I have a verify data program to test data integrity  (data now consistent)
6.  echoing on input has become consistent
7.  navies now do not lose movement points if they stop in friendly city
8.  several new commands supported (including goto next army/navy)
9.  takeover NPC nation now supported
10. NPC movement enhanced.
11. subscript bounds are now more thuroughly checked
12. Performance of -x improved greatly
13. and others...

NEW ENHANCEMENTS (TO BE DONE) INCLUDE:
Mail still needs record locking
Still need a security check on a -x run that the uid is the administrator
multiple campaigns shall be supported as a compile time option
	(ie type "conquest <options> game1" or "conquest <options>"...)
(still do not know how to do any of the above though).

CIAO FOR NOW...
HAVE A NICE DAY
Wed Dec  2 14:26:17 EST 1987

pwing@apple.UUCP (Philip Wing) (12/04/87)

In article <4886@mhuxd.UUCP>, smile@mhuxd.UUCP (Edward Barlow) writes:
> 3) Still have not thought of a new name for the game.  Best so far is
> 	<Midguard> (need to check spelling).  Comments?

	The guys who run the "Midgard" PBM game might have something to say
about your best suggestion there.  My suggestions would be:

	conquer (Close enough to satisfy those other guys)
	control (The idea here is to control the world, right?)
	[planet name] (Yet another possibility)

Hope this helps.
--
Live Long And Prosper and May The Force Be With You(And The Carrier, Too...)

				Philip L. Wing

cl@dlhpedg.co.uk (Charles Lambert) (12/09/87)

>In article <4886@mhuxd.UUCP>, smile@mhuxd.UUCP (Edward Barlow) writes:
>> 3) Still have not thought of a new name for the game.  Best so far is
>> 	<Midguard> (need to check spelling).  Comments?

I've missed something here;  what was wrong with "conquest"?

Charlie Lambert